Urban Decay Naked vs. Naked 2

As opposed to the last time, I was one of the first to get their hands on the new Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette! Urban Decay just released this within the last couple of weeks and it has already sold out twice. I know the hype will eventually die down and this will be available widespread, but something about getting your hands on it first just appealed to me. Haha! I decided this would be my “push present” to myself. Oh, hell. Let’s just face it. If I want something (especially makeup) I usually get it.

I adore the first Naked Palette and I think every gal should own this lovely set of neutrals. So when I got the second palette, I thought…

...Why not compare the two?While you’re at it, go check out Tara’s post with her thoughts on the Naked 2 Palette! We both decided it would be fun to post our thoughts today. You should definitely go see what she has to say about it!

Upon first glance, these palettes look very similar. I was even going to hold off on buying it because I thought it was just a gimmick for the holidays. Urban Decay is smart, I tell ya, always selling out of these… it just makes people want one even more! One thing I will say is I really dislike the packaging in the Naked 2. It “looks” sleeker, but it is really clumsy to open and close, and the plastic seems cheap. I love the packaging in the first one far more. So let’s take a look at the shade comparison.

Once you get down to business with the Naked 2, you will notice a few more matte shades. I think the biggest difference between the two is Naked 1 has far more warmer shades, while Naked 2 is chocked full of nice taupes, grays, and greiges. There is a repeat of one shade, Half Baked. My Naked 1 came with an eyeshadow brush, which I really dislike. I feel like it doesn’t pack the color on well unless you are using a highlighter color. The double-sided brush that comes with the Naked 2, however, is better (well, the crease brush half).

Let’s take a look at it on me.

I swatched the entire palette on my arm so you can see what I’m talking about how this looks more taupe. The further right in the palette you go, the cooler the colors get. All of the shades are very pigmented, creamy, and blendable. I will say the shade on the far left (Foxy) is pretty useless as it matches my skin – that’s why you can’t even see the swatch. And there is a really awesome black shade, which I appreciate. The picture of me on the right I’m wearing Bootycall as highlight, Suspect on my lid, Pistol in my crease, Snakebite in outer corners, and Blackout as liner on lower lids. As you can tell, it’s very taupe-y and gray. I think it really helps bring out the gray tones in my eyes.

This look consists of Bootycall as highlight, Suspect on lids, YDK in crease, and Pistol in outer corners. Still very neutral, but a little warmer.

So, let me break it down for you.

Biggest Differences in the two Palettes:
– Naked 1 has far many more warmer/golden shades
– Naked 2 is full of neutral/cool shades

What Both Have:
– Extremely creamy and pigmented shades that won’t let you down!

Dislikes of Naked 1:
– The brush that came with it
– The shade Sidecar. I absolutely loathe how much glitter fallout this shade produces. I end up with glitter all down my face every time I wear it. Even with primer.

Dislikes of Naked 2:
– Packaging is cheaper and more difficult to open and close
– The shade Foxy is practically useless to me, since it completely matches my skin tone
– The end of the brush that is identical to Naked 1’s brush
– The duplicate shade, Half Baked

Favorite Shades in Naked 1:
– Sin (gorgeous highlight color)
– Naked
– Darkhorse

Favorite Shades in Naked 2:
–  Pistol (seriously the best shade in the whole palette)
– Snakebite
– YDK

Which palette is better?

I think the original can’t be messed with so if you don’t own it, I definitely recommend you get it. It is a staple in my makeup drawer. I own a crap ton of eyeshadow palettes that range from drugstore to high end, and I reach for the Naked 1 a lot of the time. I feel like the Naked 2 is an extension of the first one, and gives you those shades that you wish you had to complement or contrast what’s in the first palette. If you’d like to read my thoughts on the Naked 1, go here. As far as which one is better… well, I just honestly think you need both. But I’m just overly indulgent like that.

Bottom line? You need it.

tara
    December 12, 2011 at 7:08 am

this is awesome, meg! much more professional than mine and not too long at all! 🙂

Michelle
    December 12, 2011 at 8:16 am

Your makeup looks so pretty, Meg!!! I don’t own either one of these but I’m hoping Santa brings me one or both!!!

Great review!!!

Savanah
    December 12, 2011 at 8:52 am

Ok, now I need you to do a tutorial on HOW to put on eyeshadow with those fancy brushes. You’re going to kill me. I’ve always used the cheapo ones that come the cheapo eyeshadows 🙂

KSK
    December 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

🙂 Thanks for the review! I never used any Urban Decay products, but I think I’ll get that 1st palette! 🙂

Kasey
    December 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love these posts. The first one is on my Christmas list but I definitely want both someday!

I told Tara this, but I agree with Savanah! hehehe.

Ashlee Miller
    December 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

Now both of them are added to my wish list. My fiance is going to start thinking something is happening to me with all of my makeup purchases. I didn’t wear extensive makeup before I started following your blog 🙂 Thanks for all the great tutorials and recommendations.

CupcakesOMG!
    December 12, 2011 at 10:48 am

so where did you even get it in the first place?? i just got my naked palette recently, but of course i too have to have the second one (even though it seems a little less daytimey).

CupcakesOMG!

Rebekah
    December 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

I love that you reviewed this! I just bought the Naked palette last month so I’ll wait a little until the hype goes down for the 2, but it looks great!

December 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Great review! I haven’t decided whether or not to get the Naked2. But I wear the original every single day. Maybe I should add this to my Christmas list…

J
    December 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Um… I don’t even *wear* eyeshadow. I have really got to step up my game if I’m going to keep up with you, you fabulous lady!!

BTW, why haven’t you had that baby yet!? Don’t y’all know we’re all waiting impatiently!?

Jennifer
    December 12, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love that you did this because it actually proves to me that I can live without the 2nd palette. I love my Naked 1 and would buy it again if I ever need to.
    Thanks Meg!

giaghani
    December 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hmm…this makes me want to buy it. I’ve been debating but I think I’m gonna head to Sephora and check out the colors, but knowing me, I’ll walk out with it in my hands. #weaknessformakeup

Amber
    December 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

For THE makeup guru, I can see how this is necessary for you. But, I can’t justify buying it since I just recently got the original naked palette. The colors look SOOO similar!

Kodi
    December 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love my Naked 1 pallet, and I cannot wait to try Naked 2!

Thank you so much for reviewing them.

<3kodi
    imleavingmymark.blogspot.com

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk
    December 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I’ve already ordered the second one yesterday — yip!!