Motherhood Pregnancy

Baby Kennedy’s Birth Story: Part 1

(First thing’s first. If you expect a birth story to be all butterflies and puppy dogs, you might reconsider reading this. I’m not gonna hold back, people…)

Nothing like starting off the new year with the story of new life, right? I’ve divided this up into a few different parts so I can focus on as many details as I can.

Alrighty! Here we go.

It all started the morning of Friday, December 16. I woke up to go to my last day of work before holiday break… still pregnant. I had tried just about everything to naturally go into labor. I walked miles, ate spicy food, took Evening Primrose Oil, bounced on an exercise ball, went to yoga, ate about 3 pineapples, drank red raspberry leaf tea, and many other things!

Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated. At my doctor’s appointment that previous Tuesday, I was told that my cervix was “unfavorable”, as I had only dilated 1 cm and was about 60% effaced. Not only that, the baby was measuring over 8 pounds via ultrasound. My doctor was worried that I wouldn’t be able to deliver vaginally. I wasn’t a candidate for induction because of my cervix’s condition. He wouldn’t induce me until I would be a week overdue, and by then the baby could very well be over 9 pounds. Also, given my family history (my mom had 3 c-sections), there wasn’t much in my favor. I was going to do everything I could to go into labor on my own, so I could at least say I tried everything I could.

So, back to the morning of Friday, December 16. I woke up, still pregnant, and used the bathroom, just like I always do in the morning. I noticed a little gush more than usual although I didn’t think much of it. I thought it just might be more cervical mucus or something. I got dressed and ready for work, and then all of a sudden, another little trickle (we’re not talking a waterfall here) that left me having to change my underwear. I still didn’t think anything of it and went to school.

At school, I felt fine, although I kept “leaking” every now and then. I had one class left for them to present their final presentations and I was actually done with the kids by 9:30. I had a great morning with them. Once that was over, I thought to myself “Wow, I actually made it all the way up to the end of the semester.” But I kept leaking. Greg encouraged me to call the doctor’s office nurse line and I reluctantly called. They told me to get to the office ASAP, and if I were, indeed, leaking amniotic fluid, they would send me straight over to the hospital. YIKES.

Luckily, Greg had taken the day off. He saved up his vacation days to take the last two weeks of December off. I headed straight home. We got all of our bags that we packed for the hospital, just in case. The car seat was in the car (strangely enough we put it in another car the night before because the AC in my car went out), just in case. We headed to my doctor’s office. We enjoyed listening to (and singing) Christmas music together, not even knowing (but somehow suspecting) that it would be our last car ride together as a couple. The next time we’d be riding in the car, there would be a little baby in it!

I got checked into the doctor, waited a short time. The doctor came in and examined me. Then a lot of fluid gushed. Oh yeah, that was amniotic fluid.

My water had broken. I went to work with a broken water. Ha.

Yeah, and about that… it is dangerous to go more than 24 hours with a broken water and not deliver. There is a risk of infection. So, basically, I knew at that point I had to deliver by 6:30ish the next morning.

I was sent immediately over to the hospital (which is across the parking lot from my OB/GYN’s office), where they were expecting us. I wasn’t in any pain. I didn’t feel any contractions. The security guard at check-in even said “You don’t look like you’re about to have a baby.” I walked myself into L&D, where they ushered us to our room. I was in a pretty happy mood. I always pictured going to the hospital in excruciating pain, screaming, and having to be wheeled in. Definitely wasn’t the case.

I changed into my hospital gown and we poked around the room. It was a nice room with a great view of the Houston Medical Center and the Galleria area. You know, those things count. I even did a blog post from my phone. Ha!

My first nurse, Jody, came in and started hooking me up to all the monitors (the fetal heart monitor and the contraction monitor). She put an IV in (which took three different tries and ended up having to be put in an uncomfortable part of my left hand, which is my dominant hand). Apparently I was having contractions 3-4 minutes apart and I didn’t even feel it!

Then they put the pitocin in my IV…

Read Next: Part 2 | Part 3

Amber
    January 2, 2012 at 9:21 am

SO happy for you, Meg!!! When I logged back into my blog for the first time in a month, I kept thinking, I bet Meg.O had her little one! Such a little peanut!!!

CupcakesOMG!
    January 2, 2012 at 9:23 am

i don’t understand about half the words you’re using here (clearly, i’ve never had a baby), but this is just fascinating!!! kennedy is absolutely precious!

CupcakesOMG!

Mary Nevin
    January 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

Yay Birth Story time!! Can’t wait to read the rest!! Also, ending on when they add pitocin is probably going to mean the story takes an interesting turn after that..

by the way, i love that you included the moment with you and greg sining in the car, those moments of coupledom are just so precious. good reminder 🙂

tara
    January 2, 2012 at 9:36 am

omg. i cant believe you went to work while you were ‘leaking’!!!

Life As Wife
    January 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

You felt them after the pitocin I bet!!!

Leah
    January 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

this is so exciting, I can’t wait to read more!

Michelle
    January 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh my goodness!!!! I’m so nervous for you! HAHA!!!

Cara
    January 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

You are amazing, I can’t believe you even have time to blog right now! Miss Kennedy must be a good baby! (and knows how important blog time is for Mommy 🙂 )

Jessica Renee
    January 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

I’m so glad Kennedy is allowing you a blogging break! 😉 I’m excited to read more about the birth story!!

Ashley Sisk
    January 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

This is going to be a good story – so far, so good. I hope motherhood is as easy. HA HA

Sarah E.
    January 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Uh oh…leaving a cliffhanger with the pitocin – OUCH. I’ve had 2 and had to have pitocin with both. My labor won’t progress without it. With my first, I had a big gushing water breaking moment right in front of my ob/gyn, but he was a jerk and said that it never happened and I went from Weds afternoon until Sat afternoon contracting on and off. I had a high rupture so the drs at the hospital thought my water hadn’t broken, that I had just peed myself.

Missy
    January 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

Sounds like quite the intriduction into the world lol!! Glad all is ok and congratuations!

Holly
    January 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am loving your birth story, and you have already made me tear up!

I am such a baby! But, I can’t wait to hear part 2!

Ashlee Miller
    January 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

That so funny you went to work with your water broke.

giaghani
    January 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

For whatever reason, I am looking forward to reading the rest of this story! I love that you guys went with the name Kennedy!

Sorry for being so MIA, I was on vacay on Aspen/Vail so I’ve been really disconnected but sincerely I couldn’t be more happy for the two of you!

Such a special start to the year! xo

Texas Tanners
    January 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Sounds a lot like my birth story with my water breaking and me hanging around school not realizing the difference between my water breaking and peeing on myself. Shameful I know. My nurses name was Jody…did you deliver at Womens?

Raquel
    January 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Omg you are AMAZING for going in to work like that!!

Meghan
    January 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I cannot wait to read the rest! And THANK YOU for not holding back! As someone who would like to have a child sometime in the near future, I appreciate honesty:)

Amy
    January 2, 2012 at 5:06 pm

way to leave us hanging!!! 🙂

Savanah
    January 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I still can’t believe you went to work and your water had broke! 🙂

I can’t wait to hear the rest!!

Jen
    January 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Aw, I want to read the whole birth story! Well, at least we know it ends with a cute baby girl. 🙂

Annalilly
    January 2, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Looking forward to hearing more!

Amber
    January 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

You’re SUCH a trooper. I love that you went to school with broken water! When I get pregnant (many years from now) I’m calling your hardcore self for advice! 😉

Ashley
    January 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I can’t believe you worked after your water broke! You are definitely a lucky one to go that far without feeling any contractions. Can’t wait to read the rest!

Heather
    January 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I’m completely fine with all the dirty details! I’d rather be prepared for when it’s my turn!

Bea Beautiful
    January 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

My water never broke with either of my kids (c-sections), so I didn’t have that experience. Congrats! Look forward to reading the rest of the birth story 🙂

Megan
    January 4, 2012 at 12:30 am

Ahhhhh, I can’t wait to read more!! I can’t believe you went to work with your water broken! I love all the details.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian
    January 4, 2012 at 3:35 am

Oh sheesh, the horror of pitocin. Can’t wait (or am scared to!) hear more. Glad you are already able to look back on it all with a good attitude!

Jennifer B
    January 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oh geez oh geez oh geez. My hand hurts just reading about your IV. I am NOT good with needles (which I realize I either should get over before kiddies, or I will be forced to lol). But, on another note, that’s funny that you were just la-di-da all day ahhhahah

Mandy
    January 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

You are such a good writer. I feel like I could have been right there with you!!! I can’t wait for the next part of the birth story 🙂

Wiz
    January 5, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I love birth stories! Cant wait to read the rest.

Maura
    January 6, 2012 at 11:08 am

haha meg you are a rock star!! you dont realize your preggo until you’re almost done with your first trimester and then you didnt realize your water broke and went to work!!! and then started tweeting pictures! i love it! and of course i love it even more cause beautiful baby K is in the world!!

Celia
    January 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I can’t believe you went to work with your water broke! …and I can’t believe you didn’t feel your contractions! My mother was the same way though, haah. I pray I follow in both y’alls footsteps one day. So glad Baby K is here and can’t wait to meet her!

P.S. I love all the details =)

Life With Lauren
    January 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

Wow so glad he told you to call! You are amazing!

Rachel
    January 14, 2012 at 9:53 am

Ah, your water broke yet you look so at ease!