Motherhood

Baby Kennedy’s Birth Story: Part 3

I promise this is the final part of the birth story! I know I have been leaving you all on some cliffhangers. Read part one here and part two here.

So, where were we? Right, I was about to push.

The nurses brought in the stuff they needed to get me to start pushing. They set up those stirrup thingies, and even brought in a mirror, in case I wanted to see. I told them not now, and I would ask for it if I wanted it.

Here we go.

They instructed me to take a deep breath, push like I had to poop, holding my breath, and while they counted to ten. I know how to take some deep breaths from diaphragmatic breathing used in singing and acting, so I figured this would be a breeze. With each push, one nurse held one leg, Greg held the other, and the other nurse was down below assessing. The doctor wouldn’t be called in until it was getting close.

The nurses both said I was “doing great” and my pushes were awesome. We, however, find a new development. The baby was face up, which makes for an even more difficult delivery. When a baby is face up, the largest part of the head is subject to coming out first, which can be more traumatic for both mother and baby. It would also take longer for me to deliver her.

Each time a contraction would come on, I would push. I eventually did ask for the mirror. Now, that was something else. Who would have ever thought my lady parts would look like that. I could see her head. But it wasn’t going anywhere!

So, here we are about two hours later. I’ve been pushing with everything I’ve got, yet there has been no progress. Apparently she’s kind of stuck. Then I start running a fever. I am told that we can keep going, but if my fever reaches a certain point, the baby has to automatically be taken to the NICU (newborn intensive care unit) upon delivery. When I heard the word “NICU” I immediately panicked. There was no way I was going to subject my child to injury, fever, and possible infection all because I wanted to deliver her vaginally.

I was given the option to keep pushing, but those odds weren’t looking that good simply because she hadn’t moved much more down the birth canal (plus all of the other things)… or get right in for a c-section. I didn’t hesitate. I would gladly have them gut me like a fish so my baby would be safe. C-section it is. I made the doctor promise to sew me up real tight and make my abs go back to the way they were. She said that I had nothing to worry about because she does one hell of a c-section and she would sew my muscles back (apparently some doctors don’t sew abdominal muscles back together after a c-section – they just stitch up the exterior). And for some reason, I felt at peace. I know c-sections are major abdominal surgery and require more recovery, but I just knew that she was going to do a great job on me.

Now here’s where things get a tad messed up. Apparently there were about 3 other women in line in front of me for c-sections (the hospital was extremely busy that night), so I had to wait. Over two hours. This is where I probably felt the most agonizing pain. Since I had pushed so hard and so effectively, the poor baby was jammed in my pelvis and giving me the most excruciating, extreme pressure. This was far worse than those devil pitocin contractions. Poor Greg was scared for me (although he never showed it) and my mother (who came in to check on me) kept telling them to move faster. My fever was rising, and the clock was ticking to almost 24 hours since my water broke the previous morning. There was nothing the nurse staff could do. I think the anesthesiologist came back in and upped my drugs, but that didn’t provide any relief for me. I was in so much pain. I started shaking uncontrollably. Oh my God, get her out! She is stuck!! Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, it was our turn. Greg suited up in some scrubs and then all of a sudden I was being wheeled out.

It was just like the movies, where the camera angle is on the ceiling and all you see are the fluorescent lights, one after the other. I don’t remember who was there, or if anyone was talking; I just remember those lights. I’m wheeled into the operating room, where there must have been at least fifteen people in there prepping things and hurriedly moving around the room. About 20 million people lifted me and moved me to the operating table, like I was some huge beached killer whale. There was another anesthesiologist who started numbing me even more. He took a needle and was poking me around my body asking me if I could feel the poke… Nope. I was numb all the way up to my chest, although my arms were still shaking uncontrollably (apparently the anesthesia can do that). Greg reappears and sits by my side. The anesthesiologist lets him know when he should stand up to take a picture of the baby. I hear weird noises and I try not to imagine what they could possibly be doing down there, although I know exactly what they’re doing.

I feel some pressure. Oh dear goodness, some intense pressure. We later learned that the poor baby was so stuck in my pelvis, the doctor had to pretty much get on top of me and yank her out. Oh, and her head just so happens to be ridiculously huge (still is). She also later tells me that I am one heck of a pusher because she was so stuck (hey, at least I know I’m in shape). I knew I pushed right! Anyway, I hear more noises. Then the anesthesiologist tells Greg, “Here it is! Get the camera out and take a picture!” Which he does. The picture came out really blurry/bright and my guts are in it, so I’m not sure you’d like to see that.

I hear more noises and shuffling and finally… my baby’s cry. It’s a cute cry. Not really a screaming cry. For some reason, I knew her cry would sound like that. I recognized her. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see her right as they pulled her out. Greg is with her while they clean her, weigh and measure her and what not.

Her first picture
the scale thingie

Finally he brings her over to me. I am still shaking uncontrollably so I can’t even hold her. I take one look at her face and I feel like I’ve known her forever. I feel so bad, though, because her eye is swollen and she looks a little beat up from all of that effective pushing. Why did I beat her up like that? Poor thing!

We sing “Happy Birthday” to her and just soak in the precious miracle that was brought to us. We comment that she has mommy’s eyes and daddy’s nose. We made this little girl! It only must have been about five minutes we got to spend there together, but it felt like time stood still.

The Nerdy Katie
    January 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

OMG, the end made me cry. I don’t think I really cried when I saw her, but the end of this did!

Also, why have I not seen the guts picture? You know I want to see guts!

Amanda Faith
    January 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I have been anxiously awaiting this! She is precious!

Kori Donahue
    January 8, 2012 at 6:25 pm

So precious!!!! Kori xoxo

Maura
    January 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

oh my gosh this so sweet! i’m with katie. i teared up! and i love the pictures! they’re so sweet

Ashlee Miller
    January 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm

She is so sweet!

Leah
    January 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm

adorableness! and omg I KNEW you were going to have a c-section, I totally called it after reading the post before this one! I actually skipped ahead just to see for sure LOL!!!! congratulations, she’s such a little doll! and so perfect xoxox

Stephanie
    January 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I waited to read all 3 at once…amazing. You’re just amazing. SUCH a sweet story!!! I got chills when I read the part where you go to see her for the first time and that you recognized her. Such a good momma you are!!

PS-can we talk about how adorable her little bow is on her hat??!!! It’s about time they differentiated between boys and girls!

She’s precious, Meg. So happy for your little fam!!

tara
    January 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm

a picture that includes your guts!?! eek. glad you didn’t include that pic. the pics you posted are absolutely precious! 🙂

ashleigh
    January 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm

why must you make me tear up and cry and smile all at the same time! i am so happy that you had a happy ending and that baby K is doing great! she is such a beautiful little girl!

Caitlin
    January 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I loved reading about your first moments with Kennedy! How sweet! But “gut you like a fish”…that’s going to gross me out for a little while.

January 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Aww!! I got teary reading this. 🙂 I’m so, so happy for you, Meg!!! 🙂

Sarah E.
    January 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Ack! You are one tough cookie – I think it’s a mom thing – but I cry hearing ANYONE’S birth stories.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! :))

Amber
    January 8, 2012 at 7:38 pm

So Sweet 🙂

She is adorable, and I am sure she won’t mind being a little bruised and beaten 😉
    So happy she is here, and hopefully you are healing okay!!!

Melissa
    January 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Yay! Very good, thorough story. One day when you don’t remember it as well, you will appreciate that you wrote everything out so well! Congrats!

Cole
    January 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Kennedy is gorgeous! And you have one heck of a story to regale her with as she grows up!

KJJ Houston
    January 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

She is adorable and Im so glad you took the C, and I know its a tough recovery (I had one) it was the best thing you could have done (I know you know that). So proud of you!
    I also couldnt hold Jack (shakes) but doesnt all that “light” provide for some great pictures 🙂 ha
    Your fam is adorable 🙂
    xooxoxoxo

Celia
    January 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

aww this made me cry! so happy for you all! =)

Bea Beautiful
    January 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Wow, what an eventful birth! I wish I had written down the experiences for both of mine. I still remember them very clearly, so I should probably do that…

Babies are such miracles, and congratulations to you guys on yours. She’s precious!

Michelle
    January 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I had no idea you went through all of this!!!! I knew she wasn’t a scheduled C, but I didn’t know about your fever and all that!!!! Bless you, Megan!!!!!!

You are baby are beautiful…so happy for you and your family!!!

Megan
    January 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

loved reading your story! I can’t wait to meet the little miss! She is adorable!

CupcakesOMG!
    January 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm

dayum…this is definitely not making me exited at the prospect of giving birth any time soon. i guess since you had such an easy pregnancy, the pregancy gods were all “eh, we might as well make it one helluva delivery”. thank god everything ended so happily! 🙂

CupcakesOMG!

giaghani
    January 9, 2012 at 4:57 am

“I recognized her”.

That really moved me. As I’m not a mommy yet, ending this piece about how you felt so instantly connected to her makes me so look forward to that moment in my life.

Truly so happy for you guys, the three of you make the cutest little family! 🙂

TexaGermaFinlaNadian
    January 9, 2012 at 5:51 am

This is so sweet. I’m sorry that you had to go through all of that, but so happy that your baby is healthy! And she is resilient, all babies are 🙂 Thanks for telling the story, all the goods and bads. The more you know, the more you can be prepared, right…right?! lol. Enjoy every second with that precious little one!

Annalilly
    January 9, 2012 at 8:27 am

Great job, Meg. You’re an amazing mama.

Heather
    January 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh my gosh, I may have nightmares until May now. You’re an incredible woman for enduring that long!

Amy
    January 9, 2012 at 10:46 am

What a crazy birth story. I can’t believe you went through so much. Writing down that you pushed for hours and then decided you needed to have a c-section and then had to wait another TWO hours for your surgery is easy to type and easy to read, but actually thinking about how crazy that was… I cannot imagine. The words surely don’t do it justice on how incredibly difficult that must have been for you.

I can imagine going through such a crazy birthing process only solidified your love for your beautiful daughter even more! Your words are so incredibly inspiring and beautiful when you describe meeting her and singing her Happy Birthday.

Congratulations, again, for the millionth time! <3

Life With Lauren
    January 9, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh my goodness… first off she is absolutely beautiful! You are one amazing woman I can’t even imagine you did wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Kasey
    January 9, 2012 at 11:41 am

Ohhh, I totally teared up. This is such a wonderful little story. I love how you said you recognized her. So sweet!!

Jessica Renee
    January 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I loved reading your birth story! It sounds pretty awful and I can’t imagine how painful it all was but I know it was all worth it for that precious girl!! You’re a trooper, woman!

Neely
    January 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Why yes I did tear up reading this

Lindsey
    January 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Meg- I read every bit of your birth sory and loved it!! It is amazing that when push comes to shove (literally speaking too) we always choose safety for our babies!! Your little Kennedy is precious and I hope she is bringing you lots of joy!

Vicki
    January 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

She is precious! And I love the first picture of the three of you! You look amazing for all you’ve been through with her birth! Congrats again!! 🙂

Cait
    January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

ahhh how adorable is she meg 🙂 how exciting for you and congrats!! xo

Kiley
    January 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

I teared up a bit. AH, I can’t stand it! She’s so precious.

The Smiths
    January 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

Your baby girl is adorable. I had a very similar birth story with my new baby. I had him in October and he was face up as well. They realized that (after around 18 or so hours of labor and 2 epidurals). The first epidural didn’t work and the second only worked for about 5 hours. After 20 hours from check-in til birth, I had Jackson by C-section. I never fully dilated or effaced with him though, so I never even got to the pushing stage. I was scared to death to have a C-section, but it didn’t end up being as bad as I thought it would be. I got the shakes really bad too and even threw up from the anesthetic. But none of that seems to matter when you hear your baby’s first cry. The best moment ever!! Enjoy your new baby girl. She’s precious.

Heather
    January 10, 2012 at 6:10 pm

So glad you and Kennedy are okay!! With my first it was faster getting to the O.R. for the surgery. I hated it,but had to do it. I was so scared of it all. The doctor who sewed me up the second time did not sew up my muscles. She was annoyed that I labored at all and kept making rude comments to me about it. She knew my muscle was torn. I went 2 years with it torn and they sewed it up after Johnathan. It sucks,but nothing I can do about it now.

Rachel
    January 14, 2012 at 10:03 am

Oh my gosh, I am going to have to pass if they ask me if I’d like to see the baby through a mirror. I am just going to close my eyes and pray to God things go well, lol!

You are a champ girl! I actually cried reading this post because There is something so incredibly beautiful about the pain that a mother goes through to bring her precious baby into the world. Congrats Meg, you did a wonderful job! 🙂

Baby Kennedy's Birth Story: part 2 - Meg O. on the Go
    August 13, 2014 at 11:01 pm

[…] f=c.tagName,b=[],e=0;e « Baby Kennedy’s Birth Story: Part 1Baby Kennedy’s Birth Story: Part 3 […]