My New Mom Pleasant Surprises

One thing I’ve learned is there are a lot of things that people like to tell you on “what to expect” when you have a baby. Everyone has various opinions and experiences with pregnancy and motherhood, and that’s what makes everyone unique! I am the type of person who welcomes any sort of advice (granted that it is deemed safe, of course). I enjoy hearing others’ perspectives. It’s just that when I am told I am doing something wrong (especially after the advice of a professional… aka a doctor) I get a little irked.

Some pieces of advice that stuck out to me were:

“Sleep when the baby sleeps.”ย

“Your life is going to change forever.”

“Go out to dinner as much as you can now.”

I gotta be honest. After hearing a lot of advice and personal experiences, part of me thought that being a new mom was going to have quite miserable moments. I was going to be under house arrest for months, sleep deprived, and my social life was going to be non-existent. Before my due date, I kind of got anxious at times, thinking, “Oh my gosh, am I going to ever go to the mall again?!”

Now, that was just plain stupid to think that, first of all, and second of all, I did go to the mall again, thankyouverymuch. Except this time, I got to go to the mall with the cutest baby I have ever seen in my life.

I have had a lot of pleasant surprises being a new mother. I don’t want to jinx myself here, because I suppose this could all change at the drop of a hat. So for now, I’d like to relish in these pleasant surprises.

Those surprises just so happen to be:

– Baby K usually sleeps all the way until 5:00-5:30 a.m. There are some days I have to wake her up to feed because my boobs hurt so bad (TMI, I know, but it is a fact of motherhood). She is a ridiculously good sleeper. She can also put herself to sleep and doesn’t have to rely on me rocking her or having to use a pacifier. This is a MAJOR MOM WIN right here!

– K is great in the car. She loves going places with me and will be such an awesome shopping companion. Getting groceries and running errands are actually pretty easy with her since she loves to be toted around. I don’t feel like I’m under house arrest during my maternity leave because she is easy to run around with. Granted, I do have to time outings around feedings pretty meticulously. I have had an incident when I didn’t and I was stuck in the grocery store parking lot in the backseat of my car having to nurse her before doing the grocery shopping. It was a pretty sight to see, let me tell you.

– She is typically great in restaurants, particularly loud ones with lots of lights and ceiling fans and “baby crack” for her to look at. Sometimes she’ll complain a little bit (she takes after her mother in that regard), but is overall awesome. I am taking advantage of lunching and going out to eat with the hubs now because I know this will be a different story when she can walk.

– Miss K is generally just a happy baby. She is smiling more and more each day and “cooing” and trying to talk to me. She does have her fussy period in evenings when she is tired and hungry (more of her complaining every now and then), but who can blame her? Being so cute is hard work.

Again, I know this could all change within seconds and all of a sudden none of this would apply to my child, but I just wanted to brag, okay?! I have the most perfect child in the freaking universe (oh dear, I’m already becoming THAT MOM)!ย I wanted to give some hope to the rest of the world that being a new mom isn’t exactly this prison sentence that some make it out to be! Even if it were, it would be the best prison sentence I’ve ever served. That piece of advice that I got… you know, the “your life is going to change forever” one? Totally true, and totally for the better.

tara
    February 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

I was so impressed by how good she was on sunday! Such a sweet happy baby! ๐Ÿ™‚

ImarriedAtexan
    February 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

Love it… You two are made for each other!

Ashlee Miller
    February 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

That’s great that she sleeps like that! She sounds like such a sweetheart!

Sarah E.
    February 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

My son (first) was an easy-going baby like that. The only time his sleeping really changed was when he was teething. But he was seriously the happiest baby ever. Little sweetie pie! Now my daughter…shoo that was a whole nother story! haha

ashleigh
    February 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thank you for writing this; it dawns a little light on what people make it seem like is hell ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leah
    February 8, 2012 at 9:43 am

Awesome post!!! Yeah, I hate to admit it but I’m totally one of those ‘scare the bejesus out of my prego friends’ because I would rather them expect the worst, then get the best instead of being like me and NO ONE warned me of anything and I was smacked in the face w/ a dose of reality that for me, sucked LOL. I’m sooo stoked you have such a good baby, that’s the best ever ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re super lucky for sure!!

Caitlin
    February 8, 2012 at 10:01 am

So last night I had one of those dreams that I didn’t know was a dream. In it, you had actually given birth to twins! Kennedy and another girl name Evelyn. My thought was, “Awww! Yeah twins! But Evelyn? Isn’t that Stephanie’s dog’s name?” Suffice to say, both girls were incredibly cute. I realize this is a random response to your post, but I figured I should tell you now as opposed to forgetting to tell you when I see you in TWO days!!!!

CupcakesOMG!
    February 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

wow…that was an intense read. in that, i feel like that IS how everyone makes it out to be: a prison sentence. it’s like, whoa yall, isn’t motherhood supposed to be a blessing and stuff? i’m so glad to know that it’s been such a pleasure so far!

CupcakesOMG!

Maura
    February 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Love this post! Im so glad baby K is so laid back!!

Little Miss Southern
    February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

I love this post!!! I’m due in June and must hear 6 times a day how things won’t ever be the same.. and how awful I’ll feel, I’ll never shower, never shop again, never have a date night.. on and on. So great to hear something positive like this! I think being 100% miserable is a choice – I know a lot of it has to do with the baby – but a lot has to do with the mom too. So glad you are loving every second!!

Phil and Darby Hawley
    February 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

Meg this is so refreshing! All the other new moms I know scare me to infertility with their horror stories, and you make it sound like a blessing! ahhhhh maybe I can be a mom without losing my sanity! lol

Jessica Renee
    February 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

I agree 100% with the comment above! I hear plenty of horror stories and complaints so it makes me SO nervous. I’m just happy to hear things are going so great for you, it gives me hope!! You and K are bff already ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jen
    February 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

What a good baby she is! So refreshing to hear non-horror stories from a new mom. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    February 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

That is so great! I can’t wait until mommyhood starts for me!

Shelley
    February 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I would KILL to have a baby that slept better, lol. I love her to death, obsvs, but gosh dangit I want my sleep, lol.

Life As Wife
    February 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

You can TOTALLY do all the same thing with a baby that you did before. Only thing? You plan ahead so you’re prepared and go when baby is happiest.

We love to shop and eat with little man!

Mandy
    February 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Some babies are just happy babies. ๐Ÿ™‚ My cousin’s baby is just like Baby K… sleeps well and is a dream to tote around!

Amanda Faith
    February 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm

So there is hope?! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I loved reading this. She is so cute! I’m glad you’re enjoying your maternity leave.

Beverly
    February 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Baby K is tooooooooooooo cute!! She looks like a happy baby, and you sure look like the happiest mommy ๐Ÿ˜‰ Congrats on your pretti-ful family

Sarah @ Simply Sarah
    February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Such a sweet post! Baby K is a doll.

Have a good week!

Cole
    February 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm

You hit the mom jackpot! Sweet,happy AND a good sleeper!

Molly Jac
    February 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Wow that’s awesome she sleeps so much!! I live with my cousin and her baby and he definitely still has issues with sleep and he is one and a half. Lucky ๐Ÿ™‚ You two are just precious.

MyInnerCheerleader
    February 8, 2012 at 7:55 pm

So inspiring and just what I needed to hear to get on the baby wagon. She is beautiful!

giaghani
    February 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

aww that is so good to hear! That new-mom period (though far far away for me) has always made me nervous. But with a momma like you how could she have anything but a sweet disposition! ๐Ÿ™‚

Cajun Cowgirl
    February 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Sooooo happy for you! My unasked for advice—go to restaurants A LOT, NOW, RUN, DO IT before she realizes the holy terror she can be! ๐Ÿ™‚

I kid. Enjoy it all Momma!

Angie
    February 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

She sounds like my 1st child. Anika was an easy baby, so happy & calm all the time. My 2nd one, well he’s a different story. Regardless, life isn’t over for me at all. Oh my trips are a little louder & I spend A LOT more time trying to satisfy him but I still go LOL. When I had my son his pediatrician told me at the hospital that the best advice he could give me was to make the baby adapt to OUR lifestyle not us adapt to HIS. I think it was great advice. Hope your little angel stays that way. Enjoy her every single second, they grow up too quickly!!!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian
    February 9, 2012 at 6:19 am

THANK YOU for all for all of that. I’m so tired of all the ‘warnings’ that people love to throw around. I think it is what you make it, but must be pretty nice to have a good sleeping babe ๐Ÿ™‚

Michelle
    February 9, 2012 at 8:57 am

Aww you’re such a sweet momma! She is a beautiful baby!

I definitely think everything handles thinks differently and each child is different. It’s nice to hear from other people but somethings I think you just need to see on your own like you did! ๐Ÿ™‚

Annamarie
    February 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I sincerely appreciate this post because the fiance wants to get pregnant soon after we wed and I am actually quite scared! I don’t want to become that woman that sits at home all day tending to the kids. Ugh. That sounds like misery. However, you made it sound not too bad and I thank you!! I’m also really glad you have had such a great experience!! :o)

Susie
    February 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Lucky you! That’s great that she sleeps so well! And attitude really is half of it. When I went in for my postpartum check-up for my second baby, I chatted with a couple in the waiting room who was complaining about having to wake their baby to feed. Kudos to you for being happy about it. Your baby will be happier too, with your laid-back attitude. I hope she continues her awesome sleeping habits for you!

Chas
    February 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

O mah GAH! My heart just skipped a beat over your new layout colors. Miss Baby Oooo is precious, but you know that! Enjoy every second. I know everyone says THAT, but that is one of those things that I feel comfortable saying b/c it’s so true. G is 8 months old and it went by in a heartbeat.

I’m with you…having a bebe didn’t drastically change my life for the worse. Everything’s better, in fact. I love toting her around and having everyone ooh and aah over her. G’s also an easy baby & always has been (although I like to say it’s my superb parenting, ha!) and that hasn’t changed since the day she was born. Just consider yourself thankful & lucky!

Wiz
    February 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

I always tell people to go out to eat when they are babies!! One of the best things someone said to me before I had my son was, “It’s not that you won’t get to do what you want anymore, but what you want to do will change.” I would rather stay home with my kids than go out and party anyday ๐Ÿ™‚

Heather
    February 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I hope Baby BUB is this good!

Suze
    February 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I’m glad you have such a wonderful baby! And a gorgeous one at that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am very excited but nervous too. I’m finding that everybody likes to tell horror stories and not as many people like to tell the good stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚ I try to take it all with a grain of salt and am just looking forward to this baby getting here! Thanks for sharing your positive perspective