Motherhood

You Know You’re Back from Maternity Leave When…

Yep, I’ve almost survived my first complete week back at work. It’s bittersweet. More bitter than sweet, but whatever. It’s good to get back into a routine, to see my students and coworkers, and contribute financially. I would definitely rather be at home with Kennedy and I miss her like crazy, but it is what it is.

Nevertheless…
You know you’re back from maternity leave when:
  • You keep hearing over and over, “Aww, do you miss your baby?” Nope, not at all, people. That’s why I had a baby – to never love or miss her. Grr.
  • You have to schedule your pumping times like it’s a science. Much harder than you think, especially with students in a classroom. Not like you can just take a 15-minute break when you want to.
  • Students almost walking in on you mid-pump. Whew.
  • Kids are complaining about how you left them.
  • Hearing “wow, you’re not pregnant anymore, Mrs. O!”
  • Your desk and classroom is a complete disaster and the OCD organized person in you just about has a heart attack.
  • You get emails from your principal regarding some of the things your sub did.
  • You are still playing clean up with grades, papers, and your disaster of a classroom.
  • You look at the clock every five seconds just to make sure an hour hasn’t passed.
  • 5:30 a.m. never seemed so early.
  • Text messages with pictures of your baby makes your day.
  • Getting to pick up this sweet, drooly girl and take her home is the highlight of your day.

The Nerdy Katie
    March 22, 2012 at 10:37 am

Tio James just put that sweetie down for a nap, I am going to be taking pictures soon to send you! I just finished taking a mid-term and am rewarding myself with some internet time 🙂

Suze
    March 22, 2012 at 10:44 am

Aw that would be so hard. I am not looking forward to it and my baby’s not here yet. We were just looking at daycares and I totally started crying in one of them. I’m already a mess! Lol.

At least you get a nice big reward at the end of the day- she is too cute!

Amanda @ Click. The Good News
    March 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

Aww- hang in there chica! Sounds like you are slowly getting it under control. I totally admire you for doing it all right now.

Neely
    March 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

LOL to the pumping. One of my friends had a 2nd grader walk in on her pumping…yikes!

Molly Jac
    March 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

She is SO precious! I can only imagine the feeling when you pick her cute little self up 🙂 And I’m glad your first week went well, even though I know it was crazy hard. I have no idea, but I’m sure it will get easier and that look on little Kennedy’s face when you pick her up probably makes it a tad tiny bit better 🙂 xoxo

Life As Wife
    March 22, 2012 at 11:38 am

Glad you’re managing. Hang in there, I hope it gets better!

Kim
    March 22, 2012 at 11:52 am

Ugh girl I am with you!! The texts throughout the day help so much, don’t they? But yes, what is wrong with the people asking the most obvious question…”how is it being back?!” um it sucks, thanks! And “do you miss the baby?” I mean really…are you really asking me that?! It’ hard but we’re doing it!!

Holly
    March 22, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love here little drool face. How sweet!

Amber M.
    March 22, 2012 at 11:58 am

Aww! She is so cute!!

tara
    March 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Glad you’ve survived first week! Hopefully it gets a little easier as time goes by!

ashleigh
    March 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Im sure it is hard but only a little while longer and then it is summer!!!

Amy
    March 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

What a sweetheart!! I would go insane with people asking me if I missed my baby, mainly because if people ask me if I’m okay when I’m clearly not I cry, so I’d imagine that someone asking me if I missed my child when I was struggling would cue crazy tear city.

I hope that it becomes easier for you and that you and Kennedy will get into a nice routine and this will just become the way it is. I’m sure the sweet sweet weekend will be so much more meaningful now! 🙂

Mandy
    March 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Oh my gosh Meg, the first bullet made me laugh out loud and spit out my drink. (Classy, I know) … regardless of how hard it must be to be a working mom, I am amazed at your wit and attitude during this time. You’re making the best of it and somehow still turn it into something to make us smile 🙂

Angie
    March 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Shew, I can’t imagine how hard it must be! Sounds like your settling back into your old routine pretty good though 🙂

Amber
    March 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Cutest little drooly face ever!

Heather
    March 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

You’re such a good momma!

Chelsea @ {twotwentyone}
    March 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I bet it’s ridiculously tough going back to work after having such an amazing maternity leave with Miss Kennedy. Summer is right around the corner though!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    March 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I can’t wait until I’m in that phase!