On Going Back to Work (again)

If you’ve been around for a little while, you know that I’m a teacher and I first went back to work from my maternity leave in March. I had an amazing nine weeks with my little girl, but let me tell you, it was so tough going back.

Today, I find myself in a very similar situation. Here I am, starting work again after summer. Back into the daily grind.
This time is a little bit different. This time I’m going back for a full academic year instead of three months.
Also, Miss Kennedy will be going to a 5-day a week Mother’s Day Out program at a catholic church close to my school (so yeah, daycare, but with a fancier name). It’s an 8:00-2:45 program, which means Greg will drop her off and I will pick her up. Luckily Greg’s job has a lot of flexibility and he will be able to bring her in later or pick her up earlier sometimes. She had an amazing couple of months with Katie, but it would be unfair for us to ask Katie to be committed to us long term, especially if she wanted to put her toddler in school or go back to work. We are so grateful for Katie!
Anyway, this school year we’re putting her in this program and it was highly recommended to us by one of my coworkers. When I visited I just got that vibe that it is going to be a great place for Kennedy to spend her time. There are only 6 infants at the room at most, and not all of the infants will be there every day. There are three teachers in the room, so there is a lot of one-on-one time. I’m nervous about Kennedy going to “school” but I know that she will love the interaction with people and other babies. She is such a social creature. She got a little taste of it this summer when I took her to the gym with me and she got to hang out in the kids club, and she never had a single problem there. So while I know she will thrive, there is still the one tinge of nervousness. Not to mention, I just don’t want to leave her. I adore being her mama and the routine we’ve had over the summer.
Can you blame me? Would you want to leave this angel?
Today is Kennedy’s first day of “school.” I wish her teachers could text me pictures all day like Katie did. I will probably be the crazy person asking them to.
But what gets me more than having to leave her during the school day, is that I will assume normal job responsibilities again. When I went back from maternity leave, I ย left at the end of normal school hours and didn’t even look back. This year is different. That means, I’m working after school directing plays and doing the millions of other things a high school theatre teacher and director does. My job is not a normal teacher’s job. I don’t leave for the day at 3:15 and grade papers at home. I stay after school until at least 5:00 p.m., and on dress rehearsals and show nights, I can be there until 10:00 p.m. This is a bit unnerving to think about trying to do this while at the same time being a wife and a mom to an infant. I feel a little better because I will be taking Kennedy with me after school to rehearsal and have some of the kids be responsible for watching her in my presence as I direct. It might be a distraction to have her there but I’m hoping to work through it.
I feel terrible having Greg be responsible for picking up a lot of the slack from when I will have show nights or other baby-free commitments that will keep me away, although I know he is more than capable of being there for her. He is such a great dad and I am so thankful for him. Why can’t I just do it all?!
We’re gonna get through this. Going back is always hard, but with hard work and keeping a detailed calendar, I’m sure we can do it.
Working mamas, if you have any advice, please impart it on me! I am sure I am probably freaking out being away from my baby as you’re reading this. And yeah, if you could think some good thoughts for me, that would be awesome, too.

Jen
    August 20, 2012 at 6:35 am

Good luck today! You and Kennedy will rock this new schedule, I know it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Taylor Urban
    August 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

She will love school, and she is lucky to only go half days! My only advice is to not feel guilty for any time Greg has to pick up a little slack. They need to have a special relationship too… I’m still learning that one ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m thinking about you, its hard!

Phil and Darby Hawley
    August 20, 2012 at 8:55 am

So glad you found a great place for her, but I’ll be thinking about you as you go back and adjust to being a workin’ mamma!

BG
    August 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

i am having so many of the same feelings as you! it’s so so so hard. good luck today, mama. i’ll be thinking about you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shelley
    August 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Giiiirl, you DO do it all!! You are an amazing super woman!! It will be okay!

Suze
    August 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Good luck on your first day back!

I am dreading going back in four weeks. I am anxious because I just don’t know how I’m going to be able to do all I need to do at school AND home.

You are an amazing lady and I know you will be great! Let me know how it goes so I can be inspired by your awesome example. ๐Ÿ™‚

Myra
    August 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Good luck, lovely. Just knowing you, you will be an amazing teacher, wife AND mom! You’re superwoman already! Hang in there and the days will get easier <3

Amy
    August 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

You’re amazing! Going to work and being a full time working mother while your child is young doesn’t change how amazing you are!

I’m glad you have found a place where you can trust Kennedy to be safe while you work.

I think Greg will probably love his alone time with his daughter and as she grows those nights will become their Father Daughter time that she will look back fondly on as an adult.

It’s also great that you’re going to be able to bring her to the school sometimes, so that you can be there, enjoy the part of your job you love, but not feel that guilt and pull to be at home.

Sounds to me like you’re making the most of the situation and having it all in it’s own context. All the power to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Ashley
    August 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’m sure it’s going to be hard to leave your sweet girl, but you are a fabulous momma, and you will figure out how to make it all work!

Michelle @ The Vintage Apple
    August 21, 2012 at 7:39 am

Oh, Meg!!!! I’m already panicking about this come the end of February (or whenever I can get back to work)! I really am already thinking about it and it makes me sad!!!!! I know that y’all will help me through it though ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxoxo

PS- We are gonna have an awesome school year!!!! Can’t wait to see your play!

Krystal
    August 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’m already panicking about maternity leave and I don’t even have a kid yet! It will end up being where I only get about five weeks off… sigh.

Life With Lauren
    August 22, 2012 at 8:51 am

Good luck! That is such an adorable picture of her!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    August 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

I get so inspired about parenthood reading your new mommy posts. Kennedy is going to be a school rock star, and you’ll continue being a rock star mama (and high school teacher and theatre director and fantastic wife)! SEE! You CAN do it all, silly. ๐Ÿ˜‰