Beauty

Splurge/Steal Beauty: High End Makeup Products & Their Drugstore Dupes

This post contains affiliate links. View my full disclosure policy for more information.

We all love a good splurge…. but don’t we also love a good steal? When it comes to makeup, I am a firm believer that if I can find something good as the high end makeup products, you bet your sweet britches I will use it. So, I have done the work for you here and found you some great dupes.

Splurge/Steal Beauty: High End Makeup Products & Their Drugstore Dupes by beauty blogger Meg O. On The GoEach one of these products I have used, both the high end and low end brand. I hope this helps!

YSL Touche Eclat / Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser
In order to get some brightness under your eyes, you may consider using an eye brightener. Yves Saint Laurent’s Touche Eclat (by the way, I just love saying that with a fancy French accent) is a cult favorite among many, and an awesome product. However, I honestly feel like these products are so similar in the effect that they give. The Maybelline is a great product, and not to mention I really like the sponge applicator.
Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Foundation / Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation
Mat Velvet + foundation is a wonderful mattifying foundation, loved by many women who have oily/combination skin. The price tag, however, is pretty hefty. A great alternative is my beloved Revlon Colorstay foundation! The consistencies are a bit different, but both are medium to full coverage foundation with mattifying properties!
Laguna is probably my favorite bronzer I have found. I love the packaging, and the color that is buildable. It is also not too shimmery, which I think is perfect for adding warmth to the face and contouring. I found the Sephora Brand bronzer for fifteen dollars cheaper, and an almost exact color. However, this bronzer is completely matte, which doesn’t make it an exact dupe. I actually like this better because I love a matte bronzer.
I think MAC makes the best gel eyeliner of the high end brands, but fear not, there is something just as good. The E.L.F. Cream Liner is seriously just as good, and a fraction of the price. The brush it comes with is useless, so make sure you get a good eyeliner brush (be it angled, tapered, or flat). Stay tuned to the bottom of this post for good brush recommendations.
You might have read this post on how I compared the two of these products, but I would be silly not to include these powders in this post. So go and read my other post for more details. Bottom line, the E.L.F. powder is not completely identical, but it is a great HD powder!
I have only used MAC brushes ever since I started getting serious about makeup. I built up a pretty good collection. However, I lost quite a few of my brushes (much to my dismay) and wanted to replace them without breaking the bank. I did a ton of research and ultimately decided on Sigma brushes because they are modeled exactly after MAC brushes (which I feel are the best). The numbers of the brushes even used to be the same. I have been so pleased with these brushes, I am only going to buy Sigma here on out. Check out a full review of these brushes here.
** DON’T FORGET! If you want even more, I’ve written a second post with More Awesome Dupes! Go check it out! You’ll thank me later. **

Want this all for your reference?

Pin the image below!

Have you found any good dupes lately? Do tell!

PrettyPhysicist
    September 19, 2012 at 6:12 am

I love reading these posts! I don’t have the $$ to splurge on the beauty items, and I don’t wear makeup every day … but I still want to get great products and get my money’s worth. Thank you!

Life With Lauren
    September 19, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love this post! I have the YSL brightener so I will have to try the maybelline and I will also have to check out the elf liner once my mac is gone. THANKS!!!

Michelle @ The Vintage Apple
    September 19, 2012 at 7:57 am

I have actually never used the Revlon Colorstay but I want to! I do use the ELF Gel eyeliner (my only prob is it dries up quicker than more expensive brands, but still much cheaper to use!) and I use the ELF hd powder. I really want to try those sigma brushes. Can I get those at ulta?

Annalilly
    September 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

Remind me why I’m supposed to use HD Powder? I have the mac mineral powder thing I use over my foundation – does it replace that or go over it?

Tasha
      October 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

HD Powder essentially keeps your foundations (liquid, mainly) in place. It also does wonders if you have oily skin like myself. It keeps your liquid foundation from getting oily or “clumpy” in one area. It can be used in place of pressed/loose powder foundation – or with it. It’s really up to you.

joie
        February 3, 2015 at 9:41 pm

So glad I read your comment. I have combo skin so I think I will try this.

Neely
    September 19, 2012 at 11:25 am

The makeup forever foundation is amazing

Rebekah
    September 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love this post! I’m always writing things down that you recommend. Can’t wait to try some of these and that elf powder is AMAZING!

Lauren
    September 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I don’t use a lot of these products in my every day but I’ve been meaning to up the ante on my routine so trying them but cheap is a must. Thanks for the recs 🙂

tara
    September 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

i seriously need to get some good brushes. seriously.

Taylor Urban
    September 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I have been looking for under eye brightener… Thanks!

Casey
    September 20, 2012 at 11:48 am

I loved this post so much I included it in my biweekly series, Lots of Link Love. I hope you’ll come check it out, and maybe even share with your readers!

XOXO
    Casey

ashleigh
    September 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

i love that you did this post; i love make up but since i dont wear a “face full” everyday i dont like to spend a ton of money on it..i would rather spend more money on eye stuff (mascara, shadow,..etc) because that i wear everyday; i am definitely going to check out those brushes

Veronika
    September 20, 2012 at 8:41 pm

love this post 🙂 the dark circle corrector has been my favorite product like, ever!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    September 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You are the make-up QUEEN! I need to remember to consult your blog before buying any cosmetics!

Kristen @ KV Confessions
    September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I really need to rethink/restock some of my makeup choices! Particularly that Elf gel liner… my Loreal liner brush is crapping out!

Cajun Cowgirl
    September 29, 2012 at 8:36 am

I love when you do posts like this! Seriously, I keep a running list of products based on your reviews! 🙂 Any dry lip recs?

Splurge / Steal - More Awesome Makeup Dupes
    November 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm

[…] Splurge Steal Beauty says: October 22, 2014 at 11:06 am […]

Pria
    January 26, 2015 at 1:02 am

Awesome splurge steal post Meg! I haven’t found the right bronzer for my skin type and I’m definitely including Sephora on my list. I’m buying Sigma brushes too! Oh me time it is!

Alaina
    April 1, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Does anyone know what the brand is of the makeup brushes that are a steal?

Anastasia Brow Wiz Dupe
    May 26, 2015 at 7:00 am

[…] eerily similar to my holy grail eyebrow product, the Anastasia Brow Wiz. I’m all about a good dupe, and I love discovering new ones so I can share them with you. Despite the fact that I constantly […]

Drugstore Makeup Dupes
    October 7, 2015 at 11:10 am

[…] my favorite drugstore makeup. I have also written two other drugstore makeup dupes posts – Splurge/Steal Beauty and Splurge/Steal – More Awesome Dupes! Since writing those dupe posts, I have found even […]

Top 10 Beauty Products Under $10
    October 7, 2015 at 11:14 am

[…] against high end or drugstore. In fact, we all know I love drugstore makeup. I love finding dupes. I love anything I can get my hands on […]

Splurge vs Steal by Meg O. on the Go | Looking Joli Good
    October 21, 2015 at 12:03 am

[…] to go check out Meg O. on the Go She has so many great posts!  I especially love this one about Splurge vs Steal.  I am a huge fan of a great deal, so if I can get away with a steal over a splurge, I will take […]

Rain
    December 21, 2015 at 3:35 pm

I really need to try the Maybelline concealer. I’ve tried the YSL one but it’s just too expensive. I’ve also been curious about the sigma brushes. Thanks! I’ll definitely be getting some of these dupes.

Fabulous BLOGS To Follow – Unboxing My Thoughts
    June 14, 2016 at 6:35 am

[…] be honest, we ALL like cheap products, don’t we? Here’s another post about dupes  from her. Aside from beauty review, Meg also writes a lot about her family, especially her […]