Beauty

Letting it All Hang Out

Today I am going to show you everything in my makeup collection. Yep, you heard me right. It’s all out in the open, right there for you to see. My pal Tara inspired me to get in my bathroom and do some throwing away and organizing. It ended up being about a grocery bag worth of hair and makeup stuff I threw away. Not kidding. Not only was it old stuff but it was even stuff I finished up but just held onto the bottle because I was proud to have it in my collection.

I don’t know why I was holding on to shimmery MAC loose bronzing powder from 2004, but I think it has something to do with the fact that I just love makeup and I hate parting with it, no matter if I liked it or not. That or just in case I needed to bronze up a stripper one day. (Don’t judge. I was in college in 2004, and not a stripper.) As a side note, I do hang on to the makeup I don’t care for. I currently have it stored in a little zipper bag. So if you live in the Houston area and you want to go through it and bring me a cupcake as compensation, it’s all yours.

So I went through everything, and I laid it all out on the bathroom floor on a towel so I could re-evaluate and reorganize. It was probably a good thing Greg was out of town because I’m sure he would have really freaked out at how much makeup is on the floor. It definitely took up the entire towel.

Are y’all ready for this? Here we go…

Yep, that’s everything. All 19 eyeshadow palettes, 12 eyeliners, 3 brow pencils, 6 single eyeshadows (I counted all of my MAC single shadows as 2 palettes), 4 eyelid primers, 13 mascaras, 1 setting spray, 15+ lipglosses (there are many more floating around in purses and lost in space), 15 lipsticks (again, more floating around), 4 liquid foundations, 1 tinted moisturizer, 2 BB creams, 2 powder foundations, 3 primers, 6 concealers/correctors/brighteners, 7 bronzers, 10 blushes, 4 highlighters, and 2 powders. I probably forgot a few things. But you get the picture. There you have it.

After some purging.

When I initially thought of taking a picture to turn this into a blog post, it felt incredibly “show-off-ish” and really materialistic. Like “OMGeeeee look how freaking amazing I am with my makeupz squee!” It got me thinking about blogging and how much we all like to show off. Our outfits, our Starbucks drinks, the dinners we cook, the beautiful babies we have in our arms, how hard we work out, the friends we share moments with, the loves of our lives, and the places we see.

We’re showing off. We want others to notice. And while some of us show off just to show off, most of us are proud of what we have and want to let it all hang out (figuratively speaking, although sometimes quite literally). We have amazing stories to tell and photos to show for it.

Needless to say, while you may see a crap ton of makeup on the floor, I see it as a way for me to build confidence in myself. I see it as something I’m knowledgeable and good at. I see it as something that has my friends asking me every week which product they should get. I see it as something that lets me give back – whether it’s doing my sister’s makeup on her impromptu wedding day at the courthouse or doing a student’s makeup for her senior homecoming dance. I see it as a way to connect with my readers and other bloggers.

Yeah, it’s just makeup. And it’s only one piece of the puzzle to who I am. But this puzzle piece is a damn good guilty pleasure.

And let’s face it. I couldn’t pass that photo opportunity up.

Life With Lauren
    March 7, 2013 at 9:48 am

Great collection and that is always an okay guilty pleasure (at least that is what I always tell myself). Anything that can build confidence or make you feel better is a positive. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Neely
    March 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

I am beyond terrified to do this

March 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

I love seeing all the makeup other people have!! You’ve got quite stash– I love eyeshadow palettes so much. 🙂 (And, like you did, I DEFINITELY need go through my stash and purge a bunch of stuff…)

xtinedanielle.com
    March 7, 2013 at 11:54 am

Now THAT’S a make up collection to be proud of! Mine is in baby stages compared to that. Hehe. Thanks for sharing. What a fun post. I recently purged my make up stash, too. Nothing like a good make up box organization/brush cleaning night.

— Christine

Annalilly
    March 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I want more pictures of C.’s wedding than I’ve seen on FB. Her dress was soooooo pretty.

Amber
    March 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Eeeeek. OKAY. So, I’m not a big makeup person (even though I own too much and don’t know how to use it) but this picture excites me. I wanna play!!!

Amber
    March 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm

P.S. I kinda wanna do a post like this. Only when I lay it all out and take a picture, I want someone to give me recs on how to use the products 😉

giaghani
    March 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm

A girl’s gotta have options! <3 it.

thenerdykatie
    March 7, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I can’t believe you have so many bronzers! I also love the last part of this post <3

Darby Hawley
    March 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Yep. That’s a lot of makeup. And Yes, you have a gift that I am SO glad you share. You are my go-to-guru of all things beauty!

tara
    March 7, 2013 at 8:08 pm

i hope my stash is as amazing as yours someday!!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    March 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I like how you analyzed what make-up means to you and recognized that we all have a desire to share with others — sometimes selfishly, but a lot of times, not. Totally true and fair!

As for the collection you sifted through, holy moly! My non-stage make-up “collection” is about 10% of that! But yours looks so fun!

~Rachel~
    March 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Great collection! Just wait until Kennedy starts shopping your stash. 😉

jessica renee
    March 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

What a show off!! 😉 No really, I think that is amazing that you know so much about makeup. One day you’ll have to give me a full breakdown as to what I need because I am awful at it. Please? 🙂

Alex
    March 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I want to rummage through your makeup so bad!! I’ve discovered several products I love through you, so thanks! 🙂