Our Breastfeeding Journey is Complete

weaning

I’ve been meaning to write this post for a long time, but I guess I would let other things distract me. I really think it’s important for me to document things like this because I would love to come back and read in the future if there are more babies (not yet, people!).

Kennedy and I finished our breastfeeding journey a little over a month ago. She was 13 and a half months. We made it 13 and a half months! We made it with zero problems.

I wasn’t sure how long I wanted to nurse Kennedy, but I knew I wanted to make it past her first birthday. Her first birthday came and gone and she was still nursing about twice a day. Over the Christmas break, I stopped pumping after she went to bed. We started giving her cow’s milk. This little girl is a busy bee and is a hungry little girl, as well. My schedule was about to get busy again after the new semester started, with play rehearsal and all. I stopped pumping during the school day. I figured if I sent her to school with cow’s milk and then nursed her at some point during the day a couple of times before she went to bed was probably okay so she wouldn’t get upset or have any episodes.

Let me tell you, this whole weaning experience has been the easiest thing ever, and so totally unexpected. We were down to one nursing session for a while, and then a day came where I thought “Hmm… she didn’t nurse today.” And then the next day. And the next.

No crazy engorged boobs. No whining child. No “process.” It just happened.

I refuse to say that our breastfeeding journey is “over”, rather, that it is complete. I was able to give her what she needed for over a year. I know my whole experience has been this whole picturesque thing. I mean, we had zero problems. I would have been thankful no matter what issues would have arisen, but I’m thankful we have had such a smooth ride.

breastfeeding advice

IMPORTANT THINGS I’VE TAKEN AWAY FROM BREASTFEEDING:

• It’s an individual experience that is so completely different from one mother and baby to the next. You know your baby the best and you know what’s right.
  • Be consistent but don’t get caught up in numbers and ounces.
  • Advice from others is great and so is research from the internet, but don’t let it consume you.
  • You are doing it right.
  • Nurse laying down.
  • It’s okay to accidentally fall asleep during those night feedings whilst nursing laying down. And it’s okay to wake back up three hours later to but the baby back into the crib/bassinet.
  • Follow your gut. You are never wrong and never a bad mother for doing what you need to do.

Mommies, what important things have you learned from breastfeeding? Do share in the comments!

Sarah E.
    March 13, 2013 at 8:39 am

Kennedy seems like the easiest going baby ever! Such a little sweetheart πŸ™‚ You are one lucky momma.

Congrats on bfing over a year – that is a great accomplishment. I love your mom posts. I wish they had been around when I was a new mom. They are just the right amount of honesty and inspiration that a new mom needs!

Taylor Made
    March 13, 2013 at 8:45 am

Congrats! Y’all did great! I also nursed both boys for 12 mos and 11 mos… And mine both weaned themselves naturally too πŸ™‚ I would have done it for longer but they were ready so off they went, growing up πŸ™ I totally agree with your tips! I always feel asleep during night feeding and then woke up hours later to move them haha! My second was a piece of cake but here is a tip… If its hard right at first don’t give up! Boys are hard sometimes and it took my oldest 4 MONTHS(!) to get it! I went to classes and he has a surgery and we used a contraption for 4 months! So when I hear mom that said I really wanted to but he wasn’t latching right so I didn’t I’m thinking if we did then trust me anyone can!!! Also “I didn’t produce enough”… It takes about 3 days for your body to make more so keep at it!!

Leslie
    March 13, 2013 at 10:11 am

That is awesome you were able to do it for over a year!! I am hoping for 6-8 months. Loved reading all of your posts and I am getting that book you told me about the other day! =)

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    March 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

That is awesome! Congratulations!

Lauren
    March 13, 2013 at 1:57 pm

What a sweet post! I’m not a mom but I have seen a ton of posts on this topic and I love that you shared your experience but really REALLY highlighted that there is no normal and all mothers are just trying to do what is best. From what I have read, that is really what many women need to hear.

~Rachel~
    March 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

She is growing up! Doesn’t time just fly once you become a mom?

Heather
    March 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Congrats!! We’re almost done too…I can’t believe how quickly it’s gone by, but I’ll be so ready to not have to carry a pump around anymore…

Annalilly
    March 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

You did a great job! Go Mama Meg.

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk
    March 14, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Don’t think less of me for asking a dumb question, and I have no kids… but you nurse laying down? Like you’re on your back?

Susie
    March 15, 2013 at 12:35 am

I ised to be one of those moms who idealized breastfeeding and thought badly of those who didn’t… then I had kids. With my first, I had to stop nursing cold turkey at 2.5 months because of an utterly (udderly? Haha… Ok not funny) case of mastitis. I was devastated. But, the good that came of it was that it really took off the pressure and gave me more realistic expectations for nursing my other kids. I nursed my second for 9 months, and weaning was no problem (nor did I ever get mastitis), and so far things are going great with kiddo #3 (6 weeks old). I consider it a victory if we make it to six months now, and I’m glad I am allowing myself to be more relaxed about it now.

Jayma
    March 22, 2013 at 3:16 am

This post is so uplifting and real. I love it and am so thankful for people like you. Your perspective is genuine and sincere…. I struggled with breastfeeding….I wanted to do it for at least the full first year and I learned so many things from God in my experience with my second child.

So in short…thank you for posting this!

Your newest follower…. Jayma | http://JaymasTips.blogspot.com