We have so many expectations on how parenthood will be. I remember thinking it would always be hard, I would always be tired, and I would feel like the life was sucked out of me. Surprisingly, the opposite happened (although I am always tired, child or no child).
It came so incredibly natural. You just know what to do when your baby is here. When Kennedy reaches new milestones or faces new challenges, I can always read her well and understand what is going on. It was easy, even when it was hard. I absolutely feel full of more life than I ever have before. While every new day is full of a new set of challenges, it also is full of discoveries, laughs, smiles, kisses, and hugs.
Parenthood also surprises you in other different ways. I have actually surprised myself. Non-mom me would never thought I would ever think some of these things were normal. For example…
– Not being freaked or grossed out whatsoever by my baby’s bodily functions, down to the very texture of excrement. There, I said it. Baby poop.
– Having no shame about having to nurse my child in public. I honestly thought I would not be one of “those moms” (whatever the heck that means) who did that, but if you have ever had a hungry infant on your hands, you know. You just gotta do what you gotta do.
– My knack for memorizing children’s show songs. And performing them on demand.
– How excited I get when my toddler willingly eats her veggies and says “yummy!”
– Using diaper cream to spot treat my acne. I swear it works.
– Crying when packing away all the clothes that don’t fit my ever-too-fast-growing baby.
– Crying at stupid crap. Parenthood makes you become a ball of mush.
So, in a nutshell, parenthood makes you a crazy person. But a crazy person with an amazingly beautiful child. Best of all, nothing can prepare you for the surprise of that intense love that takes over your heart.
Dr. Smith’s is a premium diaper ointment brand that has been around since 1963. I actually had the opportunity to test out some of the ointments, and we love them around here in the O. household. Great for super sensitive skin, and can really treat diaper rash fast. We especially found this ointment to be helpful while traveling. Since Kennedy was sitting in her diaper for long periods of time, this ointment provided an awesome protective barrier. Dr. Smith’s hasn’t been widely available in many stores in the past, they are now available nationwide at Walgreens stores! So exciting! You can visit here to find the retailer nearest you by visiting www.drsmiths.com.
Also? You have the opportunity to win some of this premium ointment for yourself, along with the $50 Walgreens gift card.