Blogging Fashion

Blog Elevated: What I Learned and What I Wore

This past weekend I had the absolute pleasure of attending the Blog Elevated conference here in Houston. First of all, it made me super excited to be able to go to something right in the city I live in! This was the inaugural year of the conference. To sweeten the deal, I won a discount ticket in a twitter contest!

kroger welcomeAt the Kroger Welcome Reception on Thursday with some new and old friends! We got the Miley tongue down, yo.

I am so lucky to be connected to so many friends here in Houston that I met through blogging. It was great to attend the conference with them, and also be able to reach out and network more. One of my good blogging friends, Amber, came down on the Megabus on Thursday and I picked her up on the way to the conference. She was pretty much my sidekick the entire weekend and I loved every minute of it. Amber is a great girl with such an awesome personality. So you need to read her blog, obviously.

I learned a lot of new things at Blog Elevated, most of which blew my mind (especially the SEO session). I can’t sit here and tell you all of the lovely tips and tricks I learned, after all, because I paid to go to this conference! But some of the key takeaways were really impactful on me.

Blog Elevated 1

WHAT I LEARNED AT BLOG ELEVATED:

• I literally talk to everyone, which Amber pointed out. I never realized how much of an extrovert I am until this conference. I find it so easy, and I loved being able to meet a ton of new people. I hope I can use that strength to help me!
  • Building your blog takes establishing a community. This really spoke to me because I have felt so connected through a lot of my Houston girls, and that what we are doing is a good thing. The relationships I’ve made through blogging are my lifeblood.
  • You set the tone of your blog – happy, sad, angry, sarcastic, etc. Those that are like-minded will rally with you.
  • Treat blogging like office hours. Set those hours for each week and stick with them. This will make you and your family more happy.
  • Going to conferences are not a waste of time. It’s not even a waste of time for a “hobby.” Yes, this blog is not my full time job, but how will I ever become an entrepreneur if I don’t further my education, network, and expand my horizons?
  • This isn’t really something new I learned, but something that was affirmed for me is to blog when you have something to say. I have been doing this for a while since Kennedy was born, and it is really liberating not to feel pressured. Your community will be there when you post. Yes, you want consistency, but you don’t want to post for the sake of posting. I want to keep this same attitude with my blog, while also keeping myself on somewhat of a schedule.

Blog Elevated 2Girls in the photos with me: Whitney, Amber, Channing

Blog Elevated 3More of my awesome friends: Amber, Whitney, Taylor (outfit twinkies on Saturday!), Channing, Katie, Michelle, Bree

What I wore was also an important component for the conference of me, as well. Obviously everyone wants to put their best foot forward at a blog conference, while also being practical. I had the amazing opportunity to work with Hazel and Olive as a sponsor for most of my outfits at Blog Elevated!

Hazel & Olive OutfitsSpotted Leopard Tunic (Thursday night) | Blair Fit and Flare Dress paired with a denim jacket (Friday, not available anymore! :() | Gatsby Lace Dress (Friday night)

I paired the leopard tunic with some jeggings and black sandals with simple, silver jewelry (too much jewelry with a loud print is not a good idea). I wore the dress with my trusty denim jacket, my cognac flats, and a simple three-stone bubble necklace in coral. For the lace dress, I wanted it to speak on its own, so I wore small rose gold pave disc earrings, a rose gold pave link bracelet (both from Lisa Freede), and my nude slingbacks. I got a lot of compliments on all of the outfits I wore and I felt really confident the entire weekend. Hazel and Olive has some amazing new arrivals! I’m swooning over the Glitz and Glam Party Dress, the Girl on the Go Dress (I mean, it’s perfect for me, right?), and this So Much to Love Trench Coat is just precious for fall! I highly suggest you check out Hazel and Olive if you want some retail therapy! The prices are very competitive (and oftentimes less expensive!) than other online boutiques. Best of all? My items came to me two days after I ordered them. Amazing customer service! So, thank you, Hazel and Olive!! I loved wearing your pieces at Blog Elevated!

Overall, Blog Elevated was an amazing experience and I learned more there than I had at any previous conferences I attended! I just loved all of the sessions I went to! I sincerely hope this becomes an annual event because I will most definitely be attending!

Jodi
    September 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

Sounds like fun. I need to learn more about SEO! Cute lace dress – you look great in it!

September 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Seriously, my SEO mind was blown. Like I can’t even handle it. It’s a whole new world out there!!! And thank you! It’s seriously my new favorite dress!!

Neely
    September 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

Cant wait to come next year!

September 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

You BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess Beer
    September 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

Looks so fun! There’s a different conference in DC next month, and I’m now seriously considering going!

September 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

You should go! Blog conferences are SO much fun and so worthwhile!!!

Lauren
    September 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

You looked so cute the whole time, seriously. Bummed that your Friday day dress is sold out!

Because Shanna Said So
    September 25, 2013 at 11:08 am

What I fun time! When I went to TX Style Council, I was amazed at all the knowledge I took home with me. It’s also nice to meet other bloggers in real life. I am still drooling over that lace dress! Seriously HOT!

September 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

TXSC looked so awesome!!! Blog conferences are SO worth it! You should come to BE next year!!! And thank you…. I am seriously in love with that dress 🙂

Heather @Cookies For Breakfast
    September 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

Love, love, love the bulleted takeaways. Good new information, and good reminders – now I’m totally thinking about starting “office hours” too! Dying to learn more about SEO. And, ahem, get onto WP since it’s so much better for SEO!

Gorgeous clothes, as always.

How do you think this compared overall to Blissdom? I feel like B’dom has more of the community that other conferences don’t, but it sounds like there was some seriously amazing information at BE.

September 26, 2013 at 10:54 am

Yes, get your booty on WP stat!!! You will love it!!!

And thank you!

As far as it compared to Blissdom, I feel like BE was more blog/business focused. We seriously learned SO much.. Blissdom was definitely stronger in the community and BFFs aspects. I think both had really great takeaways and were worthwhile!

Cami
    September 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I need to get myself to a blog conference. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity. And very interesting, too!!

I am in LOVE with that lace dress. I want it!

September 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

Yes, definitely get yourself to a blog conference! It’s SO worthwhile!!! And thank you for your sweet comment… man was that dress shorter than what I’m used to! LOL

Darby Hawley
    September 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Meg, are you serious? You didn’t know you were an extrovert?! Girl you are so good at networking and connecting with others; of course you are 🙂 I’m so glad I got to see you, even if it was for a very brief moment. You’re seriously a blog rock start in my eyes, but now I deem you as a fashionista because those outfits are gorg!

September 26, 2013 at 11:08 am

HAHA! Well I knew I was an extrovert but I didn’t realize that I was that huge of one. I wish we got to talk more, but yes, I am glad we got to see each other, too 🙂 I am not a blog rock starrrrr stoppppp iiiiittttt

Amber
    September 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

First of all, you’re the best. Thank you so much for your sweet words. I just adore you!!!

Secondly – that Miley pic is cracking me up! I had the best time at the conference 🙂

September 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

YOU are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

Channing @Living Lobpries
    September 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Send me these pics friend! Love them and of course you looked super cute in all of your outfits at BE!

September 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

Thank you friend!!!! You are the best!! Text me to remind me and I’ll text them to you!

Miranda
    September 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

You seriously had the cutest outfits! I will definitely be checking out Hazel and Olive. Also – I saw somewhere that they already started planning for BE 2014, still in Houston! I am so pumped!

It was so great to get to spend more time with you! You are so sweet and just gorgeous!

September 26, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much, girl! That means a lot coming from you!

Shannon
    September 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi Meg! What a great post. I really hope to find the type of community you’ve found in Houston here in San Diego. Any tips on how to get connected locally with other bloggers or conferences would be great!

September 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

Hey Shannon!! Thank you! The way I ended up finding so many Houston bloggers is reading a lot of blogs. I ended up finding a few who are in my town, and then we just kept finding more! You can also do a lot of googling to see if there are any blogging networks. Houston is, however, the 4th largest city so it probably was easier to find people in the area here, but I definitely think it’s worth a shot. I hope you find some bloggers in your area!!!

karli
    September 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm

ugh. what i wouldn’t give to go to a blog conference! jealous! okay…that’s a little dramatic, but i am jealous. 🙂

thrilled i found your blog!

September 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

You definitely need to try and find one to go to at some point in your blogging life! It really is an amazing experience! 🙂 Thank you for your sweet comment!

Bri
    September 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm

It looks like you had a great time, and learned a lot! I really miss you and all the Houston bloggers, there really is not other network quite like the awesome group of ladies in Houston!

September 26, 2013 at 8:06 am

Awww we miss you too, Bri!!! I agree, these girls in Houston are awesome and I love our network. Let us know if you’re in town visiting and we will definitely get together!!!

Meg Scholz
    September 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I was so sad I had to miss! It looks like yall had a blast and of course you looked GREAT!

September 26, 2013 at 8:05 am

Thank you, friend!!! We missed you!!! You better come next year!

Meghan
    September 26, 2013 at 11:00 am

I have to say that I think blog conferences are totally worthwhile. While I didn’t attend this past year, I learned so much at Blissdom last year. I love that Blog Elevated reaffirmed the whole “post when you can” mentality. That is me to a “T” 🙂 Consistency is definitely something I lack!

September 26, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I am soooo bad with regular posting and I don’t really apologize for it because I figure my peeps will be here to read. I’m glad you agree that conferences are so worthwhile because they totally are 🙂

Alex
    September 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

OBSESSED WITH THE GATSBY DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!

September 26, 2013 at 9:11 pm

GET YOURSELF ONE. Well, they’re sold out. So stalk them and get one when she restocks them!!!!!

September 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I had so much fun, but def needed my adoral haha!

September 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm

LOL, that’s awesome.

Lisette
    September 27, 2013 at 6:44 am

Looks like you had a blast.

I was SWOONING over that gatsby dress when I saw you wearing it. Then I was sad to see it sold out 🙁

Whitney
    September 29, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I was so happy to be able to spend time with you, even if it was only on Friday!! You are amazingly beautiful and I love that Gatsby dress on you!