The Top 10 Best Drugstore Mascaras

Makeup obsessed or not, mascara is something almost all of us wear. Mascara tends to be a really personal thing with people. They have very specific wants and needs, and usually when they find one they are loyal to it. I am the same way (ish). I tend to rotate through a few mascaras over and over, while throwing a new one or two into the rotation to see if I will like it. The thing is, I really don’t like spending a lot of money on mascara because it expires and/or dries up so quickly. I tend to buy about 99% of my mascara at the drugstore. If I try something new, I don’t feel bad wasting a lot of money on it if it’s a dud.

It can be really overwhelming, even at the drugstore, to pick out a mascara. It’s probably safe to say there are over 30 different mascaras in the drugstore alone. Ladies, I have tried nearly all of them. A lot are duds, but my favorite tried-and-trues drugstore mascara are there. Lucky for you, I made a list of my top 10 best drugstore mascaras! I have tried every single one on this list, and then I asked you guys on Facebook what your favorites were. A lot of you love what I do (do I have that kind of influence on you? Haha)! I’ve ranked them in most favorite to 10th favorite. Don’t judge me because I have 10 favorites. What if I had 10 kids… would you judge me for not picking a favorite then? Um… don’t answer that. Let’s just get to the best drugstore mascara.

The Top 10 Best Drugstore Mascara by beauty blogger Meg O. On The Go

1. L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black – This is my favorite drugstore mascara of all time. It gives incredible volume and length. It’s very black and doesn’t budge. I absolutely love the bristly brush. Although this is a “voluminous” mascara, this mascara does it all for me. They are feathery, long, and voluminous. Love.
  2. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Rocket – This has a rubber brush, and is tapered. Another one of those that gives me everything I want in a mascara. I personally think this is the best drugstore dupe to the Benefit They’re Real Mascara!
  3. Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies – I find that this is an amazing mascara for volume and length. It has a curved brush and really flares out the lashes.
  4. Jordana Best Lash Extreme – I was blown away by this mascara! It is the cheapest one on this list and provides a lot of volume. I also find that it stays put extremely well, as it is a non-waterproof formula.
  5. Cover Girl The Super Sizer – This is a newly launched mascara from Cover Girl. I was sent a press sample from them and holy cow I am impressed. It’s a really big tube with an inverted tapered wand. It claims to give 400% more volume. While I don’t know it has given me that much of an increase, it really does volumize a ton! is definitely my new favorite volumizing mascara. I love it!
  6. Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume – The classic orange tube Cover Girl mascara is a cult favorite for a reason. It is a fantastic volumizing mascara. It has a rubbery wand that grips the lashes easily to give great volume.
  7. Maybelline Lash Sensational – This mascara is relatively new to Maybelline. It claims to have a “fan effect” on the lashes. I definitely see that! It is a fantastic lengthening mascara and really flares out my lashes.
  8. L’Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes – I used to use this mascara all the time. I recently went back to it and realized why I used to love it so much. It’s one of those mascaras that claim to do it all, and for me, it really does a lot. I really like the thinner tapered bristle brush.
  9. Rimmel Scandaleyes Retroglam – This is kind of a wild card here because I think it’s an unexpected pick. I really like the brush on this mascara for length, even though it’s advertised as a volumizing mascara. It’s a huge hourglass shaped bristle brush and I find that it really fans out the lashes. It’s kind of hard to get in there and grab all the lashes for volume, but definitely love it for length.
  10. Neutrogena Healthy Volume Mascara – I really have enjoyed this mascara. It has a very similar wand to my #1 L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. I just really love a good bristly brush. I think, though, it just volumizes for me.

The Top 10 Best Drugstore Mascara by beauty blogger Meg O. On The Go

Now what about you? Which is the best drugstore mascara for you?

Colleen
    July 20, 2015 at 11:07 am

I am definitely picking up the ’Oreal Voluminous mascara next time I’m out! I have been using some Cover Girl one my sister recommended a few years ago (not the same tube, just the same kind) and it’s just not doing it for me anymore. How often should mascara be replaced?

July 20, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Ideally you should get a new mascara every couple of months. I believe 3 or so. I know I’m bad about abiding by this rule!

Meg Taylor
    July 20, 2015 at 11:08 am

Thanks for sharing! I really want to try the L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black. I use The Falsies and Volum’ Express back and forth.

July 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Yes, give the Voluminous Carbon Black a try!! I adore it!!

Stephanie
    July 20, 2015 at 11:22 am

I like the Falsies. Non waterproof. It makes my lashes so long! 🙂

July 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I love it too!! It really makes them long and fluttery!!

Claire
        August 6, 2016 at 10:58 am

I need one to make my lashes really long with no clumps. Any suggestions?

August 8, 2016 at 8:44 am

I would go with the maybelline lash sensational!

Sarah
    July 20, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Im going to throw one more in the mix…have you tried Maybelline Double Extend?

Jenn
    July 20, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I use the Lashsational and I love it!!

Jennifer | The Deliberate Mom
    July 20, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Oooh, I just love mascara! Seriously, if I was told I could only use one makeup product, it would be mascara! I can’t go without it!

I’ve tried a few of these (Lash Blast, Falsies, Rocket Volume, and Lash Sensational). I loved all of them. I’ll have to check out the other ones on your list though. This is fabulous! Pinning and sharing in this week’s newsletter!

Wishing you an awesome week!
    xoxo

Becca
    July 20, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I would add Clump Crusher to the list, because it’s HG for me, but the Voluminous Carbon Black is second!

Julie, from prosecco to plaid
    July 21, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Love this roundup! My favorite mascara ever is The Rocket. SO good. SUCH a good price! xo Julie

Tawnya Faust
    July 22, 2015 at 10:10 am

I love mascara but I am NEVER satisfied with anything other than my go to benefit. Maybe I’ll try some of these out and find one I like for days when I don’t really want/need a dramatic lash 🙂 Thanks, Meg!

Makeup for Photos Drugstore Tutorial - Meg O. on the Go
    October 5, 2015 at 10:30 am

[…] favorite brands at the drugstore, and probably the absolute best for mascara! You may have seen my Top 10 Best Drugstore Mascaras – Maybelline definitely dominated that […]

2015 Reflections, 2016 Goals - Meg O. on the Go
    January 6, 2016 at 10:44 am

[…] The Top 10 Best Drugstore Mascaras […]

Mel
    June 22, 2016 at 7:19 am

I encourage you to try Revlon lash potion! This stuff is really awesome! I love how super dark it is, and it kind of reminds me a little of Diorshow blackout!

Alli Butler
    February 6, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Which drugstore mascara, not necessarily on this list, is the blackest one you’ve tried? I’m lucky enough to have great lashes, I really just need the color & staying power (as I constantly have bad allergies). Thanks!