Motherhood

Breastfeeding Doesn’t Melt My Baby Weight

I’m just going to come right out and say it. Whoever said breastfeeding makes you skinny is full of lies. They are unicorns who come out of the delivery room looking like Gisele. I slightly hate them. Okay, maybe I’m just jealous.

In all seriousness, I don’t hate anyone. Outwardly. Kidding.

If breastfeeding makes you skinny, awesome. But it doesn’t make me skinny.

If you’ve been around reading my blog for a while, you may remember the various posts I’ve talked about getting back to my pre-baby body. After Kennedy was born, I wrote four different posts: Body After Baby (Part 1), Body After Baby (Part 2), Body After Baby (Part 3)I Did It. This time around, I have written two posts so far: Postpartum Health Goals, Body After Second Baby.

The Cliff’s Notes: I gained 50 pounds when I was pregnant with Kennedy. It took me 18 months for me to lose all of the weight, and I was stuck at about 10 pounds up until she weaned. It didn’t really matter what I did, although I did continue to eat healthy and exercise. It was really frustrating to me, and I had a very hard time accepting it. I just wanted to fit in my pre-pregnancy clothes. I wanted to feel like my old self. It really messed with my emotions and self-esteem. Looking back, it does seem kind of ridiculous. But when all you hear is that breastfeeding is going to melt that fat away and then it doesn’t actually happen for you, it’s pretty hard to accept. However, those last 10 pounds did slowly come off once Kennedy was weaned.

When I got pregnant with Caroline, I made it a point to try and not gain 50 pounds. I worked out a lot starting towards the end of my second trimester. I worked out 5 days a week, up until 3 days before Caroline was born. I ended up gaining about 35 pounds, which was a much less scary task to lose.

breastfeeding and baby weight

Body after second baby seems to be very similar. No matter what I did, I held onto the last 10 pounds. This time I decided not to stress out about it near as much.  Yeah, it was frustrating to have a limited wardrobe, but at least I saved money. I didn’t go crazy with the workouts, although I stayed fairly active and I eat pretty healthy. But even when I ate terribly, I pretty much stayed the same. My breastfeeding body needed me at a certain level of cushion.

Caroline weaned in mid-September and 3 pounds pretty much fell off. It was as if my body just knew what to do again. Once I add more workouts and runs back in, this will be fairly easy. I did it once, I can do it again.

This time, I feel like I stressed way less about my unbudging weight plateau. Yeah, I still have some clothes that don’t fit, but a lot do. And that’s cool. The clothes that don’t fit will fit soon enough.

So what am I getting at? Breastfeeding doesn’t melt my baby weight. It may not melt yours. It doesn’t mean you’re a freak. Your baby just needs you a little cushy. Give yourself some grace, and enjoy that ice cream.

Florencia
    October 7, 2015 at 9:32 am

Yes, I heard that before, but as you said, I am stuck right now and no Breastfeeding didn’t melt my weight. I am at a point that I’ll just accept it and as soon as I am done breastfeeding baby I can start dieting and workout harder.

Bliss To Bean (BlissToBean)
    October 7, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I was the same way with both kids…and seriously, I am LOVING your content lately. I just feel everything you’re sharing. AND you are spot on about MAC creme cup. Can we be besties??? haha Serious note, so true. Enjoy the ice cream; it’s all so short in the grand scheme of things. 🙂

tiffanyatouchofgrace
    October 7, 2015 at 12:37 pm

The one thing I learned with pregnancy is that every body is different. Some people will gain more weight than others no matter how much they eat or don’t eat. And it will all come off at it’s own time. We women are interesting creatures that’s for sure. 🙂

Candace McGee
    October 7, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thanks for being so candid! And for the part about the ice cream. That’s my favorite lol

thequirklife.com

October 16, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Haha thank you so much!

Myra
    October 7, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I’m so interested to see how this all is going to work out! Obviously never having done any of it before and knowing that breastfeeding might not make all the lbs melt off makes me a little nervous, but hey, like you said, I’m going to give myself some grace and let my body take its course! Thanks Mama!

Julie
    October 8, 2015 at 11:52 am

I was lucky and it melted my weight off the first time…but not so much this time. So true that we need to give ourselves grace!

GoFashiondeals (@Gofashiondeals)
    October 8, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Breast feeding didn’t help my weight either. WAs totally jealous at that time of ladies who it did. Once I got up and exercised it melted off. Just got to cut ourselves some slack. 🙂

sapphirelindsay
    October 12, 2015 at 9:03 pm

BAHAHAHA! YUP. THIS IS ME. Breastfeeding did pretty much nothing for my baby weight.

October 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm

I’m sorry my friend. At least we know we are not alone? If it makes you feel any better, I am down 4 pounds since weaning.

Mammu
    March 14, 2016 at 4:26 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one with this! To even have milk I had to eat a lot, just eating normally (aka not dieting) reduced my milk supplies greatly. I started losing weight after I stopped breastfeeding with both kids!