Choose Happy

Well, I took an unintentional week hiatus on my blog. Between traveling to the Pinners Conference in Dallas, getting an ear infection, and then a migraine – blogging was the last thing on my mind. I suppose it was a way to force me to slow down a little bit and take a breath.

Blogging can do that to you. It’s a non-stop stream of thoughts, and you rarely turn that side of your brain off. You work, you hustle, you dream. And through all of that, you somehow start comparing your success to others’. You begin thinking,

“I’ve been doing this for 6 years. Why haven’t I gotten that kind of opportunity?”

“Why don’t I have more followers?”

“Is my Instagram feed not pretty enough?”

“Why don’t I get invited to things?”

The list goes on.

Choose Happy slouchy long-sleeved shirt

The comparison game is pretty ridiculous. It happens in blogging, and it happens in daily life. As put together (ha!) as I appear, I do have a lot of insecurities and doubts. When I start getting in that funk of discouragement, I always have to remind myself to choose happy.

Because happiness really is a choice.

When things go unplanned, my kids are particularly rambunctious, or if my husband and I get in a tiff – choosing happiness can either make or break my day.

I am very easy going and good with change, but when I get in a funk over something that makes me feel less than worthy, affirmations make all the difference.

“Words of Affirmation” is my love language because I do tend to be so critical of myself. I can’t expect others to always affirm me all the time, so it’s up to me to remind myself.

I’d like to think that giving myself affirmation is choosing happy.

Choose Happy shirt, paired with shorts and sandals

Over the years, I’ve learned that I am in charge of the way I react to situations, success, failure, doubt, and hardship. I cannot control what will happen, but I can control how I will handle it. That’s why I choose happy.

I choose happy not because it’s the easy choice, but because it’s the right choice.

Some ways I affirm myself:

• Listen to uplifting music
  • Read through comments/emails from people who I’ve helped
  • Read old blog posts that I was really proud of
  • Get some fresh air (if it’s not too hot)
  • Exercise
  • Play silly games with my children
  • Cook a homemade meal for my husband

It’s the little things that really help me give myself a little pep talk. If you’re a “Words of Affirmation” person, you probably understand.

Choose Happy sweatshirt

Here’s to choosing happy, even if it’s easier not to. How do you choose your happy?

Choose Happy Slouchy Shirt c/o Tulip + Vine

Whitney
    September 14, 2016 at 11:34 am

I’m totally a “words of affirmation” person, so here are some for you: You are an awesome woman and friend and I’m so lucky to know you! I love the recommendations that you give on the blog and I promise I’m not lying when I say that every single product I use has been recommended by you. I miss you so much! <3

September 14, 2016 at 11:43 am

Awww you are making me tear up!!! I miss you so much, Whit! And here are some for you: you are an amazing friend, you have a pure heart and I love how you are always so willing to be there for people, even if it’s miles away!! Love you girl

The Ashmores Blog
    September 14, 2016 at 11:35 am

I love you Meg and you MAKE ME HAPPY. I love this post. It’s very real and we all have to choose to be happy at the end of the day. You Rock, you’re gorgeous, you’re an amazing blogger, you know makeup inside and out and you’re a great friend!

September 14, 2016 at 11:44 am

You’re the best, Britt!!! I love you and I’m so lucky to call you a friend. You are loyal, funny, and your heart for Jesus inspires me!!!

Jenn Delle Fave
    September 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Yes, to all of this!! I find that when I get all up in my head, I too revert back to the basics. Play with the kids, cook some healthy foods and be present in the moment. Love that top! xo

Christine
    September 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Being a Blogger can be full of ups and downs and if you aren’t strong enough, it can break you! You have to choose to be happy and constantly remind yourself that you deserve days off, that you are good enough and that you’re doing the best that you can. At least that’s what I do for myself. I find myself comparing my blogging work to bloggers daily, I think it’s something that we all do, but at the end of the day, I have to remind myself that there is no one out there like me. We need to be proud of our work and our accomplishments and cheer each other on! Love your blog and I can say that I’ve looked up to your work for a long time!!!

GoFashiondeals (@Gofashiondeals)
    September 14, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Love love love this post! You are so right. It is so easy to get caught up in all of that. Happiness is important

Nikki
    September 15, 2016 at 9:20 am

It’s so easy to get in that comparison game, but so hard to realize you’re good on your own too! I love the words ‘Choose Happy’ because it’s something that is yours and you can make happen! For what it’s worth, I think you’re an amazing blogger, mother and person :)! Keep doing you girlfran!

Candace McGee
    September 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

Well I see that we have something in common! Words of affirmation is definitely my main love language and I too am very critical of myself, which in turn makes me critical of other people and things. Sometimes I just make myself find some chill. I wound up taking an unplanned 2 week hiatus from my blog, and all social networking. I’ve lost some followers and that’s fine – because I FEEL better. Sometimes you just have to make yourself the only priority. I’m feeling much better and glad you are too Meg. You look great girl!

Tiffany
    September 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm

100% love this Meg! I wrote a similar post a year or so ago about choosing happiness because it’s true; happiness is a choice! The comparison game is a tough one I think we all struggle with at times.

September 15, 2016 at 5:10 pm

PD is totally a word of affirmation person. I LOVE this post, and you too of course.

Amanda @ Anchored to Sunshine
    September 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

This post was such a great reminder! Sometimes we get caught up in it all.

Monday Musings Vol. 6: 9/19/16 – Pink Pearls & Hockey Skates
    September 19, 2016 at 10:49 am

[…] Meg’s post about choosing to be happy and not comparing all the […]

Amy March
    September 19, 2016 at 11:27 am

Yes yes yes. I have an anxiety disorder and it used to rule me. My absolute favorite book that saved my quality of life says “choose to under-react.” That saying has absolutely saved my sanity.

Moriesha Doby
    September 22, 2016 at 8:04 pm

I choose to be happy and smile quite a bit. Unfortunately, there are so many people in this world that choose the alternative. If only they knew my story then maybe they would choose to be happy too. Faith is my backup plan. Thanks Meg.