Disclosure: This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Caboodles, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #cuethecaboodles http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
I have a lot of readers and friends that don’t have the same amount of enthusiasm for makeup as I do. I get it (okay, maybe I don’t really get it, but I’m trying to get it… haha), makeup isn’t really your thing. You would rather spend your hard earned dollars in other places but you still want quality products for your face. I’ve gotten a lot of questions about drugstore recommendations and what to buy in absolutely each category. To help you guys out, I thought it would be a lot of fun to come up with a drugstore makeup starter kit. Even better, I also have some organization tips as you are building your collection!
Each product I am recommending below are items that I own, love, and use regularly. You guys know I wouldn’t suggest anything I haven’t personally tried and love! Let’s jump right in to what I love and how to get it all organized!
For the Face:
- Maybelline Baby Skin Primer: Similar to the Smashbox Photo Finish for a fraction of the price. A silicone primer that smooths!
- L’Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup: My favorite drugstore foundation. Very blendable with medium coverage that you can build. They also have a wide range of shades to fit anyone. Great for any skin type.
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser Treatment Makeup: You know I love this concealer for the under eye area. I love the “Brightening” shade.
- Maybelline Fit Me Concealer: Best drugstore concealer, hands down! I use it on blemishes and a lighter shade to highlight. Great for any skin type.
- Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder: Finely milled and fantastic for setting makeup. Even if you have dry skin you will love this product.
- NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder in All Over Bronze Glow: Matte bronzer that is fantastic for warming up the face or doing a little contouring.
- NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray: Best setting spray I’ve found that’s close to the Urban Decay All Nighter. Even if you have dry skin, you will like this. It keeps your makeup locked and loaded!
- Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso: This blush is absolutely gorgeous and will look beautiful on anyone. I chose this as a shimmery/highlighting option for blush.
- NYX Blush in Mauve: This is an amazing matte blush that will look good with any makeup look you create.
- Revlon Highlighting Palette in Bronze Glow: I really like using the top shades as a highlighter – it looks gorgeous on the skin and is very pigmented. The bottom shades also make an amazing blush.
Eyes / Brows:
- Wet ‘n Wild Comfort Zone Eye Shadow Palette: Fantastic universally flattering eyeshadow palette that is under $5!
- ELF Prism Palette: Gorgeous neutral shades that are shimmery and flattering.
- Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner: The blackest, most waterproof gel eyeliner I’ve found.
- Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner: This does not budge! It is creamy and glides on easily but stays put.
- NYC Liquid Eyeliner: This rivals any high end liquid eyeliner I’ve tried. It dries to a matte black, is very easy to use, and stays put!
- Cover Girl The Super Sizer Mascara: Probably my favorite drugstore mascara I’ve found this year. It does everything, from volumizing, lengthening, and curling.
- NYX Micro Brow Pencil: This is the best eyebrow pencil I’ve found at the drugstore, which is the closest thing I’ve found to the Anastasia Brow Wiz.
- Milani Brow Shaping Clear Gel: A brow gel isn’t a necessity for everyone, but
- Jordana Easy Liner for Lips in Tawny: Great neutral lip liner that can also be worn alone. Matches many of my nude lipsticks.
- Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Nude Creme: My favorite nude lipstick at the drugstore. So flattering!
- Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color: Your “pop of color” option. I love a good bright cool toned pink lip!
- Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in Stoplight Red: Absolute favorite red lipstick at the drugstore. Everyone needs a red lipstick, am I right?
- Rimmel Provocalips 16hr Kiss Proof Lip Colour: An option if you want to start trying liquid lipsticks. These are pigmented and stay put! I love these.
- NYX Butter Gloss: Without a doubt, the best lipgloss at the drugstore and probably ever. Grab a neutral and a pop of color.
- Real Techniques Blending Sponge: This is, by far, the best beauty blender dupe I have found. It is not exactly the same, but it is so, so good. It’s almost even better than the beauty blender!
- ELF Complexion Brush: Great for powder or bronzer.
- ELF Blush Brush: I love to use this to set powder under my eyes or to highlight with.
- ELF Small Stipple Brush: Great for cream products – cream contour, blush, or highlight.
- Real Techniques Starter Kit & Real Techniques Core Collection: Great collections of brushes if you are looking for kits.
- Morphe S13 Deluxe Angle Blush Brush: Great angled blush brush that is cheap. Not technically at the drugstore but available online for a drugstore price.
- Coastal Scents Pro Blending Fluff: Another online option, but a fantastic blending brush for eyeshadow. I personally cannot do my makeup without a blending brush like one of these!
Now for the fun part – how to organize all of this!
I have been trying out some new products from Caboodles and loving them! Yes, you heard me right – Caboodles! Raise your hand if you had one back in the day? (Hand raised over here!) I actually saw them a few years ago and grabbed myself a pink one, I couldn’t resist! Here’s mine! Yes, I am legit with my bumper sticker.
Anyway, the original pink Caboodle is a great tool for organization, but they have since come out with some newer and more amazing products! You can find them at Target, Walmart, or Ulta! So basically while you are picking out all of the products for your drugstore makeup starter kit, you can also grab a place to store it all.
Trying out the new Caboodles made me think that they were perfect for a starter kit, and for those that don’t have a ton of counter or storage space.Yes, y’all probably know that my collection is vast and my storage is an actual 9 drawer cabinet. However, I have totally fallen in love with the new Caboodles products. There are two options that I think are perfect. I’ll show you how you can use them with the starter kit and how I have been using them, as a more advanced makeup owner (haha, I promise I am not advanced, I just own a lot of makeup).
Clear Acrylic Counter Tray
FOR YOUR STARTER KIT: I would definitely recommend the Clear Acrylic Counter Tray (found at Target and Walmart) if you have the counter space for it. It also fits nicely underneath the sink if you need to put it there. I was able to fit this entire drugstore starter kit in the tray with a little wiggle room. I’m able to see everything so items are easy to grab. I really love this! If you are into having your products out on your counter, this will definitely save space and keep it together. I also love the price – so much cheaper than what I’ve seen for similar acrylic organizers.
HOW I’VE BEEN USING IT: I have currently been keeping it on top of my Alex 9 drawer from Ikea (my makeup cabinet), where I have been storing new products and products I need to remind myself to try. I have a hard time seeing all of my makeup, so this has been great for me to remind myself to put those products into the rotation.
Black Diamond Train Case
FOR YOUR STARTER KIT: The Black Diamond Train Case (found at Target and Walmart) is perfect for those who don’t have the counter space and need to put their products away. But don’t be fooled – this 11 inch case packs a big punch, and a lot of products can fit in it! I even threw in a few hair products in it for the bottom photo so you could see how big the case was. I recommend clearing a space under the counter or maybe even in your closet to store your collection so it is out of the way in small spaces.
HOW I’VE BEEN USING IT: This will now be my new best friend for travel where I don’t have to pack lightly, or if I am doing a friend’s makeup. I also think I will start storing any overflow products in it so I can easily access it.
Hope you guys found this helpful! Let me know your absolute favorite drugstore products you can’t live without, and if you have any organization tips! One last thing, be sure to follow Caboodles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for product updates and fun tips!