Baby Kennedy’s Birth Story: part 2

Read part 1 here.

So, we left off how I’m in the delivery room, feeling pretty chipper and not really feeling contractions. I got the pitocin (synthetic form of oxytocin to produce contractions) around 3:30 (we were admitted to the hospital around 12:30). It took a little while for the pitocin to really hit me, but when it did, boy it did. At this point I was on my second nurse, Hanna. She was a sweet blonde girl.

Now, this is where my memory starts to suck because of pain/delerium.

Contractions hurt like a bi-yotch. I don’t even know how to explain what it feels like. But it hurts. About three hours into the pitocin kicking in, I asked for the epidural. I wanted labor to progress as much as it could without having the epidural, and I made it three hours. I was a wimp. But to my defense, pitocin makes for some FOR REAL contractions. That stuff is the devil.

Before I got the epidural, my OB/GYN came in to check on me. And tell me that he wouldn’t be there to deliver my baby. He had a Christmas party to go to and he wasn’t on call. Um, yeah. I wish I was kidding. My mom was in the room freaking out and pissed off. Meanwhile, I’m puking in a plastic bowl, really out of it, and not really saying anything because I was in so much pain. I honestly don’t remember much of that conversation. I was just like “Whatever, man.”

I got my third and final nurse, Kristen. Another pretty blonde girl who just so happened to have her birthday on December 17 (which it was looking like my baby would have the same birthday). Kristen literally stayed by my side at every moment monitoring me and providing support. I also had another nurse, Simi, checking on me. She was super sweet and very funny.

Then the anesthesiologist came in to bring me my magical drugs. I don’t even remember what he looked like or what really went on before I got it, I was in so much pain. Everyone had to leave the room while I got the epidural. The wait was pretty agonizing but once I got the epidural, I felt pretty immediate relief. I could have kissed the man, even though I still don’t remember what he looked like. Another cool thing was that I had control of my legs, it’s just that they were numb. I always thought the epidural would make me a complete dead weight, and it certainly did not. It took the edge off, even though I could feel some pressure while having contractions.

The doctor who was on call and who was going to deliver my baby came in and introduced herself. She seemed pretty cool. And right after she introduced herself, she was like “Well, now that we are introduced, I’m going to stick my hand up your vagina.” It was pretty awesome. I immediately liked her and knew that if my doctor trusted her, I was in good hands. The fact that my doctor was not on call (and it was inconveniently the weekend) was not something I could have controlled and I decided I wasn’t going to be mad at him.

Then the waiting game continued. I wasn’t progressing much and the contractions from the pitocin weren’t producing as effective of contractions as the doctor had hoped (strangely enough, since those contractions were the devil incarnate). I wasn’t really in much pain. They just kept pumping me with fluids (since I had lost my amniotic water starting at 6:30 a.m. and there wasn’t much cushion left for the baby) and I kept gushing them out all over the bed linens. I swear my poor nurse must have changed my linens about twenty times. Yeah, I know. Gross. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

At this point, I was pretty calm. I might have tweeted a bit and I decided I was going to take a few pictures from my phone. These are those. My epidural-induced self takes pretty crappy phone photos.

BFF Katie and my Mom
Greg where he spent most of the day/night… by my side. Love him.

I was stuck at 5-6 cm dilated for a while (you have to be at a 10 in order to push and deliver). They checked me about 2 am and I was about the same. Then in the course of about 30 minutes, I felt a lot of pressure and I wanted to push. They didn’t think I was ready but I insisted that something felt different. Sure enough, when they checked me, I was fully dilated.

I was ready to push. It was around 3:15 a.m. I mustered all of the yoga and diaphramatic breathing I learned through singing and acting and prepped myself for the home stretch.

…or so I thought.

Read Next: Part 3

Ashlee Miller
    January 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

Hahaha the doctor that delivered Kennedy sounded great!!

Mary Nevin
    January 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

i’ve heard pitocin is the worst! bless your heart! so sorry it was such a long labor! thank goodness you had nurses & doctors that made the process better!! can’t wait to hear the next chapter about your precious little one! hope everyone is doing well!! xo

Michelle
    January 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

Oh my goodness!!! I would have been very upset with that doctor! LOL! But your other doctor sounds awesome! I love reading about this! Except for the scary parts. Makes me a teensie bit afraid to have a baby. But don’t worry, I still will!!!! Greg looks so calm in that pic!! Is he channel surfing? LOL! Again, thank you for sharing y’alls baby story with us thus far! I love reading it!

Leah
    January 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

Your birth story’s getting SOOoooOoo exciting! that, and it is legit sounding EXACTLY like mine (therefore making us birthing sisters BAHAHA j/k!). Except my birth story ends with my baby having a ginormous head and I got a c-sectin in the end. I can’t wait to find out if that happened for you too!!! PS (sn) ALLLL my friends are doing the natural birth thing. I mean ALLL. Damn ‘Business of being born’ ricki lake movie on Netfliz LOL j/k! I am a fan of ‘God created doctors who created drugs and hospitals so I’m using them.’ So I also am excited to hear about a non-natural/traumatic/birth.

Heather
    January 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

You are teasing us!! I am so ready to hear the end lol I am glad you liked the on call Dr too. That was the thing I loved about my Certified Nurse Midwife,even if she wasn’t on call she tried to come. I had great nurses too!

Cassie
    January 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

Aww, takes me back to my baby birthin’ days. The most torturous moments of my life but also the best!

Thanks for sharing your story for all the world to see 😉

Congrats on baby Kennedy (love that name, btw, it’s a family name for me)

Ashley Paige
    January 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’m kind of on the edge of my seat… it feels like in reading the hunger games, minus the pods and hot men. I’m assuming Haymitch did your epidural, lol 😉 SO excited to read more! thanks for sharing!!!

tara
    January 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

Um. Yeah. Definitely not looking forward to childbirth. Eek.

Wittschen's
    January 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

you lasted longer than me! I got induced and the very 1st second of feeling uncomfortable I was like EPIDERAL PLEASE! haha love reading your birth story!

Caitlin
    January 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

So at what point did cops come on your family? 🙂 Or were you way too out of it to notice?

Jennifer
    January 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

You certainly are bringing the honesty!! I love it though and thanks for the cliffhanger – although I already know what happened, this is a great post.

I’m still so happy for you and your sweet little family!

Heather
    January 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Okay, you’re a better person than me…I’d probably switch OB/GYNs!

Amber
    January 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m glad you got a DR that sounds awesome, but I am PISSED at your first doctor. What the hell?!

Lauren
    January 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

Ah, girl, I made it to finally dialated too and still had to have a c-section. She just wouldn’t drop the last bit and it had been so long since my water broke and I had been checked so many times I got an infection 🙁

Amy
    January 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

you and your cliffhangers!! I’m loving the comedic spin you’re putting on your once traumatic pain.

Bea Beautiful
    January 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

Haha I loved the “whatever, man” moment. After I received my epidural I was so out of it I kept hitting on my anesthesiologist. I told him he looked like George Clooney. My husband was like, “I’m right here.”

Kristen @ Confessions of a GDS
    January 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Even though I usually get the heebie jeebies just thinking about the birthing process, I’m enjoying your story! Thank god for drugs… I heart drugs. Seriously if I ever decide to have a baby I would want it to be just like the dentist- knock me out and wake up when it’s all over! Can’t wait for part 3… ahhhhh ouchies… maybe I can 😉

Life As Wife
    January 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

You’re killing me!!!

Jennifer B
    January 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Gah! Curse you and your cliffhangers! xoxoxo

Holly
    January 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Ahhhh – part 3, ASAP!

CupcakesOMG!
    January 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

oh dear god, this sounds agonizing!!! i think your replacement doctor sounds way more cool than your originial one thuogh, just sayin’.

CupcakesOMG!

Jules
    January 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Just found your blog today…..LOVE it! I have grabbed a button and will be visiting regularly. Congratulations on the birth of baby Kennedy….she is precious!

Sarah E.
    January 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Pitocin contractions are the WORST! They get so aggressively painful right off the bat.

Ashley
    January 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Killing me! I need the rest of the story 🙂

Stinks that your doctor couldn’t deliver your baby, but sounds like you got a great one to fill in!

Venassa
    January 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

That was quick dilating..
    I never got to the pushing point because I had a c-section, so I can’t wait to read the next part.

Cara
    January 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

oh, you poor girl! everyone says Pitocin is the worst 🙁 Everyone also says you forget the pain…too soon??

Kasey
    January 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Ahh you are so good at making us want more of the story. 😉

The doctor that delivered Kennedy sounds hilarious. Wonder if she’ll come be my doc when it’s time for me to have kids. hehe.

giaghani
    January 6, 2012 at 2:10 am

Oh the tension is building up for the rest of the story! 🙂

Sorry about your doctor but it sounds like the lady doc on call was fabulous!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian
    January 6, 2012 at 4:39 am

Well I am so glad you had great nurses. Since you see them the most, I know they can make a world of difference. Looking forward to exciting and scary part 3 🙂 And you know we all need more baby pics!

Jessica Renee
    January 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I am loving your honesty girl!! Pitocin scares the hell outta me so you’re a superstar in my book! 🙂 but OMG I would’ve been SO pissed at my doctor. I can’t wait to hear the next part!!

January 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oh wow– this does NOT sound fun. 🙁 But thank GOD for epidural! I think you’re a champ for lasting three hours! I can guarantee that I’ll want drugs ASAP. Lol.

Wiz
    January 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I pushed for two hours with my first!! And epidurals are heaven! Cant wait to read the rest!

Baby Kennedy's Birth Story: Part 1 - Meg O. on the Go
    August 13, 2014 at 10:57 pm

[…] return[];if(c.tagName)if(a){for(var f=c.tagName,b=[],e=0;e « 2011 Wrap UpBaby Kennedy’s Birth Story: part 2 […]