HD Powders: MUFE vs. ELF

Everything “HD” in makeup is all the rage, and has been for a few years. Brands like Make Up For Ever, Smashbox, and even Revlon have really capitalized on the idea of being “camera ready”. There are endless options out there to discover. After all, don’t we all have at least three red carpet events a month to attend? I know I’m always dodging that darn paparazzi and a perfect, camera ready face is a must when I go to the grocery store..

To me, a good setting powder can really make the difference in the longevity and the finish in your makeup. Since I tend to be oily, setting my liquid foundation is crucial.

I am a long time fan of Make Up For Ever’s HD Powder. It lasts forever, and is the most beautifully, finely milled powder. It helps my makeup stay for hours, keep me matte, and photographs nicely. The powder doesn’t settle into fine lines (isn’t that the worst when makeup cakes and ages you about ten years? Nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing your future!) and it’s pretty much the most perfect setting powder I had tried.

I then heard about a dupe. And if you know me, I love a good dupe (as recently evidenced by this post). I wholeheartedly believe that if I can find something cheaper that is of the same quality or better, I will use it. I don’t care if it’s Bonne Bell (even though I don’t think Bonne Bell carries HD setting powders). Side note: I just browsed Bonne Bell’s website and it is so precious! Tween makeup is hilarz!

So I took the gamble and got me some ELF HD powder…

WHAT’S THE VERDICT?
ELF, all the way.
You may all collectively gasp now.

$6 for the ELF powder is way more appealing to me than the $32 price tag that the MUFE powder has. Not only that, but I think the ELF powder performs amazingly. No, it is not identical, but it has definitely replaced my love for the MUFE powder.

I love sweeping this over my face with a big fluffy brush and then setting my concealer with a fluffy eyeshadow brush. It really does the job, and for 5 times less than what I was using before.

Alright, ELF. You win. This time.

Want more beauty goodies? Make sure you check out this page to see all of my beauty-related posts and videos!

Leslie
    August 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

I have never used High Def powder before! But now I want to try it 🙂 Might pick some up at Target today! Thanks for posting this!

tara
    August 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

Both my wallet and my face thank you for this! 🙂

tara
    August 8, 2012 at 7:45 am

Both my wallet and my face thank you for this! 🙂

Myra
    August 8, 2012 at 8:08 am

I need to get on this. And then I need a makeup tutorial of how to fix my face. K, thanks, love you, bye.

Amy
    August 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

hahahhaa I loved this post!!!

Soooo good.

I have loved your hate for ELF all these months and finally, it wins something!

I’ve been thinking of doing an eyelash post… maybe I should get around to that haha

Amy
    August 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

hahahhaa I loved this post!!!

Soooo good.

I have loved your hate for ELF all these months and finally, it wins something!

CupcakesOMG!
    August 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

oooooooo, really?? very interesting!!! ive never tried the MUFE stuff, but i would happily spend $6 on the ELF stuff. do they sell this in Target? i feel like i’ve seen it there.

CupcakesOMG!

Annalilly
    August 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love when you find a cheap winner!

August 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Sounds like I need to pick this up!

22 Inexpensive Beauty Products That Actually Work | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips
    August 2, 2014 at 10:11 am

[…] loose, lightweight finishing powder goes on translucent, and reviewers dub it as a worthy dupe of Makeup Forever’s Microfinish Powder — at a fraction of the cost. $6 […]

Everyday Makeup Routine
    August 18, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] a pop. I’ve only ever bought the E.L.F. version so I can’t confirm the dupe (although Meg O. did!) but I can say that this is a great […]

Molli
    September 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I loved this powder….. until I took a picture of myself with the flash on! The flash on camera reflects of the powder. Aka ghost face!

22 Inexpensive Beauty Products That Actually Work | Reusable Water Bottles For Sale
    March 10, 2015 at 1:16 pm