Motherhood

To the New Big Sister

IMG_3736

Dear Kennedy,

Things abruptly changed for you about six months ago when your little sister got out of mommy’s belly and came home from the hospital with us. You were used to having mommy and daddy all to yourself. You and I spent all summer together. We went to the library, Chick-fil-A, played with friends, and watched a little too much TV. It was a blast.

No matter the amount of talks and “big sister” books we read, it probably didn’t prepare you for what was to come. All of a sudden there was a tiny little baby in our house. The baby was loud – probably much louder than you anticipated. The baby was always being held, and the baby always needed mommy.

If this upset you, it was hard to tell. You embody grace, especially for such a big girl who’s three years old. Even though you showed a big interest in the baby, you continued your life as usual, and you didn’t seem to mind that the baby needed a lot of attention.

aIMG_2447

This had to be hard on you. I know it did. I know this because you had trouble in other areas, like using the potty. It was your one thing you could hold on to for control, and I guess I don’t blame you. But, you never seemed jealous or upset with mommy and daddy.

I’m a big sister, too. Sometimes there’s a lot of pressure on us to set an example, not act like a baby, and try new things to show that we are so big and so independent. Sometimes we just have to be flexible, whether we like it or not. Sometimes, we get less attention and less praise. Big sisters have a tough job, but you were cut out for it. You’ve got this.

Now that your little sister has been with us for a little over six months, you use the potty like a big girl, and you are becoming so independent. The struggles you were having before seem to be no more. That doesn’t mean life is easy from here on out, but I have a feeling you will handle those with that same grace.

Kennedy, you need to know that we are proud of you. I don’t tell you this enough. You have a kind spirit, a hilarious sense of humor, a vocabulary that amazes me daily, and the potential to be anything.

Most importantly, you have love. I realized this the other day when the first thing you asked from waking up from your nap was, “Where is Caroilne?” Then later, you sat there and hugged her face with gusto (maybe a little too much gusto). And a little bit later, you found such joy feeding her puffs. Your little sister smiles from ear to ear when she sees your face, and always looks for you when she hears your voice. Even though I’m her mommy, I have a feeling that you’re her favorite person.

Want to know why?

It’s because of the love that radiates out of you. In the future, I know you will probably dislike her for taking your toys, or borrowing your clothes. There may be some days or years that you aren’t very good friends. But she’s your sister. And this love right now? Promise me you’ll always carry it in your heart.

Keep shining, sweet Kennedy. I adore you!

Love,

Mommy

IMG_3749

February 26, 2015 at 7:28 am

Gah this made me all teary!

Kennedy is such a awesome kid, she’s one of my favorite people too!

Anne
    February 26, 2015 at 8:09 am

She’ll love reading this when she gets older. 🙂

Caitlin
    February 26, 2015 at 8:22 am

Gee, thanks, Megan! Making me cry before my 9:30 class!

But I do love these girls so very much!! 🙂

Neely
    February 26, 2015 at 8:31 am

Literally crying

Brynn
    February 26, 2015 at 8:58 am

this brought tears to my eyes! so sweet, Megan.
    Kennedy is beautiful!

Teale
    February 26, 2015 at 9:35 am

Oh my goodness, what a lovely letter! I am part of the crowd that also teared up!

Tawnya Faust
    February 26, 2015 at 9:48 am

I meant to read this post yesterday so I’m glad you posted it to our group today! 🙂 I LOVE it. So heartfelt and your girls are just beautiful little souls!

I have to admit I’m a little hesitant to add another baby to our family, as much as I want one I am loving the stage we’re in now and I worry about Scarlett. I know she would love being a big sister but I worry about the initial adjustment having no family here for help.

Nina
    February 26, 2015 at 11:02 am

This made me all teary too! I’m gonna blame it on pregnancy hormones 😉 Such a beautiful post. I hope my son is half as good a big sibling as Kennedy is.

Meg
    February 26, 2015 at 1:25 pm

This is so sweet! I love the photos of Kennedy and Caroline! You are doing a great job of being mommy to both girls.

Amy G.
    February 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

And my heart just exploded. I know what it’s like to be a bug sister too Kennedy and it sounds like you’re doing a pretty fabulous job! Big sister is a hard job but somebody has to do it!

Tabitha Blue
    February 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm

So, so cute!! And so sweet. Just love your family photos! And I love how well big sisters seem to embrace “their baby”. 🙂

Amy
    February 26, 2015 at 11:49 pm

This is just so so special.

Jess Beer
    February 27, 2015 at 9:09 am

I’m a big sister too, and this is awesome. Nothing like sisterhood!

A Letter to the New Big Sister | SuddenlySlimmer
    February 27, 2015 at 10:34 am

[…] post originally appeared on Meg O. on the Go. To keep up with Meg, you can follow her on Facebook or […]

A Letter to the New Big Sister | Pinoria News
    February 27, 2015 at 10:49 am

A Letter to the New Big Sister | Oh Alright!
    February 27, 2015 at 10:51 am

A Letter to the New Big Sister - LogHim.com
    February 27, 2015 at 11:15 am

A Letter to the New Big Sister - DailyScene.comDailyScene.com
    February 27, 2015 at 11:40 am

A Letter to the New Big Sister | Omaha Sun Times
    February 27, 2015 at 11:48 am

Alycia
    February 27, 2015 at 10:46 pm

This is such a beautiful post. I love every single word you wrote. It makes me think of the day we will make Palmer a big sister, how she will take on the role. I can only how it’s as gracefully and beautiful as the way Kennedy has accepted it!!

She sounds like an exceptional little girl! XO

Ashley
    March 2, 2015 at 10:46 am

So. Many. Tears. I’ve read through this several times and every time I do I get teary all over again! So sweet!

Jessica DImas
    March 3, 2015 at 1:21 am

This post was so amazing. It had me in tears not only because it was so beautifully written, but it had me thinking about my older son and all that he’s accomplished being a big brother, and it even made me think of MYSELF being the older sister. Amazing amazing post and I’m not surprised at all that Huffington snatched this up. Congrats to you again!!!!

Kristen
    March 3, 2015 at 3:53 pm

This is such a cute post! Your little family is adorable and this post made me choke up!!

stephanie
    March 22, 2015 at 6:59 am

This is so sweet!! What a wonderful post! 🙂

2015 Reflections, 2016 Goals - Meg O. on the Go
    January 6, 2016 at 10:41 am

[…] Letter to the New Big Sister […]

Heartfelt Monday: Inspirational Blog Posts from My Favorite Bloggers - Cuteheads
    March 7, 2016 at 5:01 am

[…] To the New Big Sister, Meg O. on the Go […]

Fabulous BLOGS To Follow | Sparkling Letters
    August 13, 2016 at 6:13 am

[…] love to see something personal. Also, her daughters are both so pretty and cute! Meg’s letter to her first daughter really touched […]

Today, You're Two
    August 17, 2016 at 7:00 am

[…] instead of paying attention to you, but her interest changed once we got home. She’s the best big sister for you. And you know what? You’re the coolest little sister […]