Tips for Second Day Hair

Disclosure: Thank you to Suave Professionals® Luxe Style Infusion for sponsoring this post. As always, opinions 100% mine.

Second day hair is something I rock all the time. I have very fine hair, and it gets extremely dried out and stressed if I wash too often. I am also experiencing that oh so lovely postpartum hairloss. The more I wash, it seems the more hair falls out. I have been extremely mindful about my hair routine lately, as to not overwork my hair but also keep it looking great.

If you haven’t trained your hair to go more than one day between washes, you really should get on it. Even though going longer between washes is better for your hair, sometimes it just doesn’t look the same on the second day. I’ve got a few tips for second day hair up my sleeve, so keep reading! I did these photos with third day hair, so you know I’m legit. Haha.

Tips for Second (and third!) Day Hair -- this is great!

Give yourself a great blow out on day 1.

Get a great blow out on day 1 hair

Giving yourself a great blowout on freshly washed hair is the foundation for second day hair success. This is key! If you are focusing on getting nice lift at the roots, there is less of a chance of your hair feeling flat against your head the next day. Most of the time, I don’t curl my hair in addition to my blowout. I was recently sent the Suave® Luxe volumizing line to play around with, and I am extremely impressed. I really like most things I’ve tried from Suave, and this is no exception. I have been using the Weightless Blow Dry Spray on the roots for lift, Volume Souffle Mousse on the ends for texture, and the Volume Plump Hold Hairspray to hold it all in place. I’ve gotta say, my favorite product is the Weightless Blow Dry Spray – I have been searching high and low for a great root lifting spray from the drugstore, and this is something I am going to continue to repurchase! High five, Suave®!

Use dry shampoo at night and sleep with your hair up in a loose top knot

dry shampoo then top knot

Many people think you apply dry shampoo when it starts looking a bit oily, and before you style on the second day. My hair has been feeling far more fresh when I do this: I apply my dry shampoo at night, don’t rub it in, and just let it sit in my roots overnight while my hair is on top of my head. Give it a try!

Use a volumizing mousse and scrunch to reactivate texture

Use a volumizing mousse to scrunch and reactivate texture

I love this trick! If I did a piece-y blowout, or I’m on third day hair and I want to reactivate some curl, I take a bit of mousse, like the Suave Professionals® Luxe Style Infusion Volume Souffle Mousse, and scrunch it into the ends of my hair. It does a great job of reviving some texture.

Curl only the front pieces

curl only the front pieces

If my previous day hairstyle had some curls or voluminous waves, I like to take a curling iron only to the front pieces. It saves time and it cuts back on the amount of heat styling you’re doing. This is especially a great trick for third day hair.

Teasing and hairspray are your BFFs, but in moderation

teasingandhairspray

If I want even more of a “Big Texas Hair” look, I do a little teasing on the crown (very little, as I hate to do too much damage) and finish it off with some hairspray, like my Suave Professionals® Luxe Style Infusion Volume Plump Hold Hairspray. Love the way this stuff smells. All in moderation, though! You don’t want to have helmet head!

What are some of your best second day hair tips and tricks? Share them with me!

If you want to get your hands on some of the Suave Professionals® Luxe Style Infusion, head on over to Walmart! You’ll love the 24-hour lift without lifting a finger.

stephanie
    March 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Great tips Meg!! I never thought about putting dry shampoo in my hair at night. Going to have to give it a whirl!

Darby Hawley
    March 30, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Oh wow I NEEDED this!!!!! Thank you!!!

Megan
    March 31, 2015 at 7:26 am

I NEED to try these products! Your hair looks GREAT!!

Tiffany | A Touch of Grace
    March 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Great tips! I used to wash every day, up until about 8 months ago. So glad I finally stopped! My hair is thicker and fuller than it’s ever been! I love dry shampoo and totally agree that spraying some on at night before bed works so much better than in the morning.

Veronika
    March 31, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I love me some second and third day hair! I do the same thing (topknot at night with dry shampoo)

Jodi
    March 31, 2015 at 8:40 pm

i love the Suave dry shampoo in the gold can. Use it all the time!! I also put it on at night. Been doing that for years!

Jennifer | The Deliberate Mom
    March 31, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Oooh, fabulous tips! I wash my hair every 3 days – so this is fabulous.

Thanks so much for sharing… you’ve just given me another pin for my Deliberate BEAUTY board!

Wishing you a lovely evening.
    xoxo

Emily
    April 1, 2015 at 10:19 am

I love the idea of using dry shampoo at night! I normally use it in the morning but am left with some residue, so I normally avoid using it a ton. I am definitely going to try this out and who knows, second day hair may be in the cards for me still… Thanks for the great tip Meg!

Emily
    ​​Something Gold, Something Blue

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire
    April 1, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I’m a big 2nd (and 3rd) day hair gal. 😉 Good call on the overnight top knot. I’m going to have to try that with dry shampoo!

Tawnya Faust
    April 1, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Woah I need to try the dry shampoo and top knot at night!! I always wake with oily hair so maybe this will work. I may have to try some of these products too, I’m always looking for a good root booster, and drugstore brand is always nice 🙂

Thanks Meg! XO

Kristy
    April 2, 2015 at 8:43 am

Umm, so I had no clue about these tips. I’ll definitely be trying this puppies out! 🙂 Thanks for the tips! I need all the hair care advice right now. After-baby hair has not been my friend. The struggle. One thing that did not leave is my greasy hair on the second day. But maybe I can train it a little better? Here’s hoping!

Esther @ cuteheads